Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Whistle while you work.....

...usually to stop yourself swearing at somebody who should know better when they say something so gobsmackingly idiotic it beggars belief!!
Shall I go on? I wonder......yeah alright! I just had one of those days that feel like running up an escalator that is going down. Not that I am supersticious but it Is friday the 13th today, definately one I should have just stayed in bed for. I woke up late, at 8.30am , we leave the house at 8.15 to get Seth to school so not a good start, poorly me, I have the flu thing that has rendered the whole family incapable of doing anything but whining or sleeping, adults and children alike.....not me though, nope, 8.30 wake up with sledgehammer head and fireball throat and some kind of hot thing poking my right ear.......poor me, sure to get ooodles of sympathy from each and every recovering family member who has been on the receiving end of my ministering sympathy all week ( for 3 weeks) NO!! Sulking from H, who is very keen on routine in his aspergers kind of way, that is as long as it's me doing the routine......whining from Seth who doesn't want school and wants long trousers, not shorts for school, whining from Isaac..no make that wailing from Isaac who doesn't want clothes at all but wants to some with mummy ....and thankyou my baby for not whining but could you lower the volume of the MUMMA!!! MUM!!! MUMMA?!?! PLEASE?
Thump de thump goes the head while H slams around muttering that Seth's packed lunch should be done ( of course he's been up for 2 1/2 hours but is still weak from being so ill so couldn't have put a banana in a box!!) And all the while Sophie is telling me about her dream last night.
Sophie's dreams aren't like anyone else's dreams..they are full length epic type movies in such minute detail that I lose the will to live as soon asI hear the words" Mum I had a dream...." I got as far as hearing how much the size 10, pink t-shirt that cost £2 in the shop with the sticking door that she went to with Katie was and begged for mercy....
The day carried on like that really, with H being offended by my very presence and feeling slighted that in between 2 boys visit to the doctor, school runs, party shopping with a 4 year old who thought Alex really should have at least 37 presents and 3 cards, making rhubarb and apple crumble before the fruit went rotten along with the pears and whatever that mushy green thing is that's stuck to the side of the fruit bowl ( and then, selfish me, leaving the dishes in the sink) he had to make his own dinner, just for himself though, as I had fed the 3 boys while they were in the bath that I had run and put them in, of course he wouldn't have minded if he had known in advance that he was going to have to cook for himself ( thus informing me that not only is it my job to DO everything for everyone, with a smile on my face and a hymn on my lips probably, but also I should be thinking for them all as well) have we not had a party invite on the desk for 10 days and been counting the days down? Have we not discussed how the party is 6.8 miles away ( good old mapquest!!) making it obvious that I will need to drive there at 5pm and stay til 7.30?
I am beginning to be more vocal about the sulking and silent 'punishments' meted out when I fail to be less than perfect and although not yet able to say exactly what I am thinking ( not entirely sure if this is a fault or a remarkable achievement) I am able to put the brakes on and point out that it isn't a case of him walking in the door after a hard day's work and facing a mountain of housework and chaos but more a case of him being here, just as I am and every bit as capable of seeing what needs to be done and doing it. ( bloody annoying when he sees what needs to be done and points out if I HAVEN'T done it!)
I took Sophie with me on the party run, always seems funny to get ridiculously lost when you are with someone else and as much as I love mapquest and use them extensively to get my directions, I have yet to actually GET to my destination using them, I swear they plot these routes right up to the last 2 roads and then bugger it all up in the most impressive way and I picture the office at Mapquest HQ filled with jolly plotters just busting a gut as they visualise us poor simpletons with absolutely no sense of direction whatsoever driving up one way streets the wrong way weeping in frustration; ( and actually I should say here, that there is every chance, in fact a probability, that it is my reading and following of the maps rather than the actual map that is faulty!) these are always such bonding moments with Sophie, I think she just revels in seeing her usually competant and organised mother completely at the mercy of her fabulous sense of direction.
Dearest Seth, his first party and no idea what was in store, just as we arrived he said " actually, inside, I think I feel a really little bit angry"
" oh dear....do you think it's angry or a bit worried because you're not sure what what to expect?"
we decided that as soon as he saw his friends from school and saw where they were going to have such fun he would be just fine and indeed he was, so thrilled to hand over the party bag and say " open it it's a football and a snake" ( could there possibly BE a finer gift when you're 5?) and eyes as big as saucers as they spotted the soft play area.
Sophie and I had fish and chips in the car and she talked ( non stop actually) about nothing very much ( but thankfully not about the dream she had last night!) saved by the bell on her mobile phone, I read a magazine and listened in on a scintilating chat with someone called Dave who is 17 but doesn't fancy her and even if he did she doesn't fancy him, so that's OK then.
When I got home, with my red faced ice cream filled 4 year old who got TWO party bags and an action man watch, it was to see that Elijah was asleep in a vest and pair of big boys pants and Isaac was happy having had an evening with daddy.
I found some pictures that H had taken ( wow he NEVER take pictures) and somehow all is well, my boys are happy, the crumble was a bit yummy but not screaming at me to finish it...... not such a bad one after all.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home