Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The Reluctant Rhino

Once upon a time, there was a Rhino, a girl Rhino with very thick skin and a tender heart.
Poor Rhino, shall we call her Pamela?
Somehow Pamela felt dreary and sad and whilst grateful for the many marvellous things in her life, the rambunctious baby rhinos, the sulking somewhat lazy teenage rhinos and the long suffering blame it all on papa Rhino, she still couldn't see the jolly factors in her day.
"Oh Rhino doctor, what can I do? Is there a secret yet smashing rhino remedy that will soften my skin and toughen my heart? "
" No Pamela Rhinocerous, I'm afraid the only thing I can recommend is a stomp around the neighbourhood, put on your new walking shoes and stomp until your thick skin glows and your tender heart pounds."

"Darned Rhino doctor, mean Rhino doctor" said Pamela, who then made the mistake of telling Papa Rhino who smiled and squealed with delight ( yes, papa rhinos can squeal under very special circumstances, Pamela was suprised, however, to hear the squeal in the kitchen in broad daylight .)
Ho hum, Pamela grumbled to herself, I suppose now the other Blog writing Rhinos have gathered and pledged stomping sisterhood it is required that I give this a go.
"Oh NO"..she said somewhat unconvincingly, when the skies thundered and lightening flashed. " perhaps I shan't be able to stomp today after all, maybe tomorrow"
But then the heavenly Rhino felt humorous and wiped away the rain and storms and sent some lovely blue sky......
"oooh mama rhino" said baby Rhino " Can me come if I put clodhopping big brothers boots on?"
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
"no my baby, this is something I need to do all by myself, I have to stop being afraid of rhino hunters and scarey people and stomp up some hills all on my own" spluttered Pamela, who hates to admit that she is so frightened of being outside on her own, for even though she is big and tough looking and has thick skin, she has a tender heart that has seen too much sorrow and learnt that the big world outside is a scarey place to be.
Deep breath Pamela.....tie those laces and head out on your adventure.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com She headed out of her door, whispering to herself that she needn't go far, just have a fast trot around the houses...up the little lane that leads to the world beyond the door.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com "hmmm" thought Pamela " I haven't been down this road before, it looks pretty, lets turn right and head this way.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Oh it's so peaceful in the evening and hey.....it's a treat to be able to walk quickly ( ish) without having to keep stopping and wait for those skittish babies who love to run the other way.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Oooof, bit puffed out walking SO fast but how nice that the heart is thumping because it is being worked and not because it is afraid or sad.....Pamela is a nosey rhino and she notices that she can see in the windows of the little houses as she stomps on by, stomp, wheeze, oof, clump...ooooh nice curtains.....thump, huff, drip....that garden needs some work.....she stopped to look at the quaint Red post box because when Pamela lived in a far away land she missed red post boxes and didn't think the grey mail boxes were quite the same...Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com The sky was still blue but Pamela's lungs were by now making a strained kind of hoofing sound and they felt quite stretched, unaccustomed as they were to such vigorous bellowing actions......so Pamela threw herself into one final spurt of determination and headed for home. The final stretch was UPHILL..yes, UPHILL. Hoorah. The reluctant Rhino had done it, faced the world without the protection of papa Rhino or the metal box thing on wheels...no pushchair to hide behind, nobody and nothing but herself, her thick skin and her tender heart that sang, just a little bit.
Pamela enjoyed her adventure but is quick to say that although she will be obedient and will stomp til her heart sings louder, she would still probably enjoy a safe sort of hide away somewhere. Never mind Pamela. Tomorrow is another day.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I am proud of Pamela!
I'm also very thankful that Pamela had the foresight to take a camera along for the journey so we could see the sights too. Lucky Pamela to live in such a lovely neighbourhood with red post boxes, and interesting pathways. Even better that Pamela has a quick wit, and the ability to paint a wonderful picture with words, so that pictures aren't necessary, but always welcome as a bonus.
Pamela has inspired me to drag my camera out on my next walkabout, to show the rest of the rhino brigade what the view looks like from here :)

8:21 pm  
Blogger -Lo said...

YAY YAY YAY What a great idea to take that camera!!! Pamela is a smart stompin Rhino!

9:40 pm  
Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

WTG Pamela!!! I have to agree I love love love the photos!!! Going to drag my camera out on my next walkabout :)

Hugs

Julie (who is VERY proud of you!)

9:53 pm  
Blogger Julie Q said...

Woo hoo for you Helen. :) Going to try and get out there myself today! :)

Julie

10:44 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

So proud over here!!!

WTG Pamela. :)

11:16 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home