Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Monday, October 15, 2007

There's none so queer as folk. ( and an update!)

It's 2am and I am sitting here with a sad little Isaac curled next to me. He has toothache, horrible toothache that has had him running up and downstairs in an effort to escape it. He has bizarre teeth that have had me worried for as long as I can remember, they look hollow! Tiny sharp little teeth that look as if they have nothing in the middle, beautifully white but obviously not as they should be. We have tried getting him to the dentist and he fights, with every ounce of strength he can muster. Holds his jaws tightly shut with his hand over his mouth and he kicks, and fights and if he could scream without it giving Magda the nice dentist a good view, he would.
Because he hasn't ever complained about pain, we have sort of, well no actually no sort of about it, completely allowed ourselves to cross our fingers and hope that these empty little pearly whites will just fall out without a problem and new strong teeth take their place. No such luck.
It has to be said that I have been the healthiest of people in this house....Lawks, you can imagine what that says about the rest of them can't you? There has been an extraordinary illness in our home that has knocked them all for six, the usual snot and coughing but along with that came a leg ache, everyone of them ( including H ) has woken in the night with crippling leg pains. Isaac has just begun to be better, albeit with a cough that is sticking around, Eli has so far escaped it, Seth and H are still wiped out.
It's been a long week, so it has.
My Isaac seems to be settling after some tylenol melts, Ibuprofen, a warm wheat pack on his cheek and some warm milk. There is a dentist in town that uses sedation, I think we will have to try and get him in there and let them knock him out to get a look at these weird little teeth that as tiny as they are appear to have the ability to send him nearly crazy with pain.
I am such a wuss when it comes to my kids in pain. I always want to run away .....hide my head and pretend LALA LALA, with fingers in ears that nothing is going on. When I make myself accept that I have to do something, the next step is to be grumpy and WHAT? HOW? try and grump them out of it all.....BAH! But when I can see that this is real, not some piddling little graze that could have been avoided if they'd just stop bloody climbing and jumping, well then I am quite nice.
I like it that all our boys are happy for either H or I to comfort them, they have no preference. I tend to be the medicine giver, the wound dresser and back patter, H is the snuggle for hours and not even tut or sigh waker upper. Such patience. If I am awake I can stay awake all night and be fine. If I get woken up....uh oh, Florence Nightingale I am not. So they always wake H.
We always woke our dad, always. Mum is almost completely deaf in her left ear, so she would sleep on her right ear and well, that made for a great nights sleep! Once or twice we would try and wake her, more for entertainment purposes really because she would, if we managed to rouse her a little, say the most extraordinary things, like
" Mum! MUM!, Mummy, I have a tummy ache....MUM!"
" yes, you take that end and I'll take the other....PULL!"
Not much help. So we'd walk around dad's side of the bed and touch his shoulder and he would fly awake. He always knew what to do. " Awwwww darlin', have you? Poor you, go back to bed, lie on your left side, curl your legs up and stay still, your tummy will get better in a minute" and it pretty much always did.
I bet my mum tells everyone her kids slept through the night from 2 weeks and never woke up from then on.
Sometimes I think H is a bit soft on the old waking up at night thing. I was a tough old cow with Dan, Jordan and Sophie, I NEVER had them in bed with me, sleep has always been precious to me, my bed is my haven....so if they woke I would calm them, settle them and always put them back to bed as quickly as I could. H is always guided by the boys, he will sit downstairs with them all night if they need it, he will lie with them and have them on his lap all night and I have never heard him get grumpy or irritable because he is uncomfortable or his legs have gone dead. I am in awe of his patience and so never say a word about toughening up, I can't see how anyone is harmed by his softness, what memories these little boys will have when they grow up, remembering how they were snuggled and loved and comforted every time they needed it. I am sure they will, in turn, make splendid parents because I hope they will want to pass on such security and love to their children.
I was very wise to marry a man like my dad, he is so like my dad it scares me sometimes, who'd have thought there could be two men like him in the world?
What that means is that I get to be the funny one at night....cool. Sleep on mothers of the world, I think we do our fair share in the daytime don't we?
There is something quite glorious about watching Miami Ink with a 6 year old at 2.30am. He thinks the women with tattoos all over their bodies are a bit freaky too and OW! I don't get the tattoo thing at all. I am mesmerised by this show though, some of those tattoos are out of this world, I just think a nice framed picture that you can put away when you get sick of it is a much better idea.
We just saw a lady who had her deceased husband's face tattooed all over her arm. He died when he shot a policeman, drunk and out of control he shot the cop and then was shot dead by other policemen. She is so young and I can't help but think of her future, sure to meet another love at some stage, now she has this huge face of her cop shooting, dead husband for ever on her body. ( he wasn't the most attractive of men in my opinion either sadly.)
Just doesn't seem like a good plan to me but oh well, it takes all kinds I suppose.
Then there are the fathers who think that having their kids tattooed all over their bodies somehow proves they are a good daddy.
*sigh*
One man had a huge tattoo to show his love for his Auntie, who is a very old nun. He felt sure that old auntie nun would be stoked to see how much he loves her by getting a big old permanent tattoo all over his chest. I suspect she would have been much happier to see him in a nice suit carrying some scriptures and going to sing with her in church, what think you?
Anyhoo, looks like my little tooth monster might be relaxing a bit, we might try and get some sleep. Night night.
***************************************************************************

So, we went to the dentsit at 9.30am. The boy jumped into the seat, opened wide and sat, mouth WIDE open without flinching while she drilled ( without ANY kind of anaesthesia!!) and filled and poked and prodded, received 2 stickers, much praise from Magda and cousin Ben ( who is a dental nurse at the practice and was 'specially sent to help Magda to ensure Isaac felt a little more at ease) and smiled his way out, feeling very proud of his new white filled tooth. This boy will never cease to amaze me, we were all ready for a trip to the childrens dental clinic but he said he wanted the one he has been to before and he didn't let us down.
Here's hoping that all is well now, last night was heartbreaking, to see him sucking on that sore tooth and the tears, those silent tears plop plopping all night. Great news that the rest of his teeth are great, the front ones have been worn down and are a bit soft, 2 bottom ones are wobbly and the rest are perfect. Phew.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger LosingSanity said...

Hopefully everyone gets feeling better.

2:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i saw the one with the nun and i think you are right. do you have la ink there? even freakier all girls, all tattooed and pierced up.
good luck with isaac.

9:52 am  
Blogger LosingSanity said...

wow! What a big boy! I'm sure he is very glad that he braved the dentist.

2:36 pm  
Blogger Julie Q said...

What a big boy Helen! I'm glad he did so well at the dentist. :)

2:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isaac has made such tremendous strides. We are very proud of him!

8:05 pm  
Blogger Ranni said...

Wow! Aren't kids the strangest little creatures? My Matt (Blade) is like that. If he doesn't want to, ain't nothing EVER going to get him to. Yet when he wants to, you can't hold him back.

Very glad to hear Issac's better!

12:19 am  
Blogger Stetch said...

whatEVER was exactly wrong with the tooth? Was he just not brushing right or something? I can't believe he was so good there. Thank goodness! lol

2:21 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home