Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Saturday, March 04, 2006

The cause of all our worries!

















Here he is, on what has been, for him, a good day.....the jaundice is beginning to set in and he is a bit yellow, which doesn't show too much in these pictures. He was thrilled to have pictures taken and posed quite cheerfully, especially for the ones where he bares his big old swollen tummy and shows off his oozing biopsy wound. I shall spare you all those!
Julie, I charged his smart card with your kinder than kind donation, he has a rather posh contraption that has TV, phone and internet and uses the smart card , he now has enough for a day or three to view, call and browse to his hearts content. Thankyou!!
He is now in a room with 3 other men and this has lifted his spirits enormously, he is a nosy old bugger and loves to know what is going on with other people, he now has plenty to think about other than how poorly he feels and is enjoying the coming and goings of the bustling ward. He told me today that the man across and to the right of him was up til 2am with his solicitor making a living will. I replied that I hoped he had been very clear in HIS will that I am his favourite child, not that it would matter as he hasn't a bean to leave, trust my luck! When I was a petulant teenager I often used to say that I knew I was adopted and that my REAL parents were probably rich.....so I reminded him of that, the gap in my teeth and my quick temper tell me that actually, the chances of my having been adopted are slim to none, I am my father's daughter.
I do want to make it clear that in my ramblings about the nurses etc I never for a moment wanted to complain about the care they have given dad, he is as cared for and pampered as they have time for, they have been kindess personified. Now we are allowed in to visit we can see just how fabulous they are with the patients I was just feeling so frustrated with not knowing anything, not being able to see him for more than 1 - 2 minutes a day and feeling as though he was suffering without any of us near him. It is soothing to our battered souls to see that even if WE are struggling, he is actually being kept in the picture and is being cared for so beautifully, our gripes seem so much less important.
I can say that this whole experience is exhausting, humbling, terrifying and we all feel so numb. I am almost fascinated by how differently we are all dealing with it.
You would think ( wouldn't you) that we would be feeling the preciousness of family, nurturing and savouring every second? How weird is it that actually I find myself wanting to look up gypsy camps to see if they want these boys, I would have swapped them for a sprig of heather and a basket of pegs without so much as a second thought today. My brain aches and my heart is weary and I kid you not, these kids have driven H and I to the edge of reason, if it weren't for the end of that tether we're gripping onto by the skin of our teeth, we might be quite mad by now. Are they always this bloody revolting or are my defenses down? Would I normally want to string Isaac up for throwing a sports bottle of juice at me? The fact that the lid was open might have pushed me over the edge, the added fact that he had a satanic grin on his face as he witnessed the spraying of me from head to toe was the very limit.
How bored am I with Elijah's biting?
How much longer can I care about whether Seth has curly noodles or pointy ones and not feel the undeniable urge to make him understand that they TASTE THE BLOODY SAME!!!!!
I had just wearily placed Seth in his bed, was just about to breathe that heavenly sigh of thankyou Lord...when Sophie, who is celebrating her 17th birthday this week as she will be away next week, decided that THIS was exactly the right moment to stomp up the stairs, dressed in army fatigues ( rather sexily jazzed up, though not as sexily as her friends thank heavens) yelling at me to take pictures........I took pictures, do you want to see ? In one of them is a girl who Jordan had described to me, she is stunning and SO beautiful, she is wearing pink and I think she is used to having her picture taken, I have a sneaky feeling that he hasn't actually ever looked at her face.
Image hosting by Photobucket

Just a feeling I have.
I hope they have fun, I hope even more that they don't wake me up when they get home.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Oh that's super! I'm sure he'll get much enjoyment out of that! What a clever card :) Now he doesn't have to be lonely atall even when you're not visiting him :)

I hear you on the kids driving you nuts. I confess I have no excuse for why mine do but drive me there they nonetheless do. I'm sure you have infinitely more patience than I do.. you're still my hero Helen!

As for the young lady.. well indeed, she does seem to have some rather large assets doesn't she? Hope they didn't wake you!

Hugs

2:06 pm  
Blogger Jenn said...

enjoyed the pics Helen - so glad your dad will be just a little more comfortable with the addition of a television ;)
Sophie is much prettier IMO than the pink booby girl.
I've got a sprig of Heather and a basket of pegs here, but I need them so I can trade them back for my kids when they are feeling like they want to be better behaved and then I'll let them come downstairs (they've been banished to the upstairs for refusing to put clothes on.....).I'm spending my time down here rather enjoying my pegs.....they are quiet, stay put, and don't ask for chocolate milk every second of the day....

6:34 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home