Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Blah.

Way too much crying and forgetting, then remembering and feeling bad for forgetting, even momentarily, that dad is still so sick. Now he can't have visitors because of some damned stomach bug that is tearing through the hospital. Even the ridiculously pathetic attempts to show him we love him aren't available to us, or him ( more importantly). The most exciting thing I could do for him this week was to buy him some baby wipes, whoopie, soft wipes for his poor sore bum.
We're actually not listening to the no visit rule anyway, we dash in with clean PJs and bottled water and even though we can't stay, we'll be damned if he is going to go through even one day without seeing, even fleetingly, a face that loves him. He is going to get a newspaper and pyjamas that smell of home and lovely clean things, not hospital and scary things.
I was asking questions at the hospital and found myself just feeling such frustration because they don't know him, they don't know how he was before he was ill and maybe they think he has always been a shuffling, crying not making much sense sort of man.
When I was nurse, did I take the time to imagine what the real people were like or did I just stride my way through each shift feeling superior or irritated by these people whose arses I had to wipe?
Life feels like a vacuum, where all the things that mattered before are so unimportant that I can't even remember what they are or what WAS important anymore. It feels like one of those movies where everything is normal and suddenly the camera gets rushed towards an object so fast you feel sick, everyday stuff happens and you get on with it and then quite out of nowhere you remember that this is really happening and the man who has always been there with the answers is truly poorly and really does need US to have the answers and we haven't got any. Bugger.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

I so know how you feel. When I lost my Brian Jacob life was soo surreal. And yet - it was. The crying & fog & all of it. Situations like this can do this kind of stuff to ya.

Hang in there!

Sally

11:04 pm  
Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

HUGS... I hope he's all better soon. Our prayers and positive thoughts going out your way.

12:52 am  
Blogger Jenn said...

Helen, I am thinking of you and praying for your family tonight. Continue doing what you are doing - even if it feels pointless and not enough, even a glimpse of a friendly face and something as simple as fresh PJs and a newspaper are heaven sent little reminders that someone cares. Your dad may not be able to say it - but I know he appreciates it, and he is lucky to have such a caring family, that is so desperate to do SOMETHING for the one they love that they break the hospital visiting rules ;)
s'ok to feel BLAH too! isn't that a perfect word? Blah.conveys so much. Almost as good as 'bugger'.

7:05 am  
Blogger Julie Q said...

I agree, I'd keep sneaking in, even if just for a minute.

I hope your Dad is feeling better soon Helen. I continue to keep him and your family in my positive thoughts.

1:29 pm  
Blogger LosingSanity said...

I hope that things get better at the hospital and they very soon lift the no visiting rule. But even so, I bet he is very thankful for the quick glimpses of his loved ones each day as you bring pjs and the paper. Im sure its the highlight of his day. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers!

1:59 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home