Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

A long day.

00.19 march 9th 2006

My dad is dying. He has a cancer so agressive that in 24 hours he has beyond healing. As I type he is peaceful and not in pain, he has had a hard day of fighting terrible pain and saying goodbye. It has been an honour to spend this day with him and every minute, though heartbreaking has been a spiritual and incredible experience.
My prayers have always been that he not be afraid, 3 weeks ago he was still working, he was still driving and doing church work and worrying about dry walling the loft. 2 weeks ago he had a pain, until today he was thinking that he had an infection in his liver. This morning he was told he had cancer but they still didn't know where the primary tumour was, by this afternoon we all knew that he was dying, no fear for him, pain until they cracked that bugger and he is sleeping with his right arm above his head taking deep breaths that are obviously hard work. We cleaned his mouth and cooled him down, he was fast asleep.
Some of the things he said today.....
" It's all over you know"
"what is my darlin?"
"me"
"well, that's alright, isn't it? For now. Are you afraid?"
"no, not afraid but...oh dear...."
"but you're worried about mum."
"mmmm"
"well, you know that we will look after each other don't you?"

"It's my wife you see, I don't want to leave her, I want her with me"
"well, you know that for now, she has to stay here and finish what she is here for"
"OK"

"Do you know that we are all so proud of you? That you have been the very best there could be? "

" I am so weak though, they'll think I am weak"
" we are all so amazed at how strong you are, how strong you have always been, I married Howard because he is so like you. He's a stubborn bugger at times but he is like you, I love him because of that."

" Oh Jean, Oh Helen"
"yes"
" I just want some peace"

"Jean?"
"Yes sweetheart"
"come over here and give me a snog!"

Everyone has seen him, except Jane who is flying in from Utah on friday. For some reason, he was so distressed at the idea of her seeing him and said that he needs for her to remember him as he was. Maybe he will get his wish but that will be sad for her.

How amazing that in a family as large as ours, not one person has a bad memory of this man, every grandson has mentioned the outing on the moors, he took all of these little boys, now grown men, on the moors and ate beans out of the tin. They remember that. every time someone else came into his room and kissed him, he managed to open his eyes and smile. He loves us.
Tomorrow, or later tonight, if the hospital calls I am going to take pictures of his hands. He has the most beautiful hands, strong, square hands that have been the kindest hands to everyone. Despite his body being ravaged by this disease his hands are still beautiful. I sobbed when I looked at them tonight because somehow it is so important that they haven't changed.
It isn't a terrible thing being with him as he goes through this, it is an honour. I know that when he is gone we will feel such emptiness, for now we are all so grateful that prayers have been answered and he hasn't been afraid, he never has had to suffer being an invalid, or worrying, he is surrounded by love and family.

We feel afraid having left him but also feel that tomorrow he will need us more, the hospital will call if he changes and we will be there. May our prayers continue to be answered in that he feels no more pain and when he takes that step towards the next life we are there to see him go.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Helen...

I am so very sorry for you, your mum and the rest of your family. Enjoy the moments that you have left with your dad...and may you find peace in the many wonderful memories.

Sara ( and Madison and Tyler)

12:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Helen...I'm so glad that you are part of such a loving, supportive family. You are all truly blessed to have such wonderful people around you, and to have a terrific person like your dad in your lives. My prayers go with him that he may find peace without pain.

Much Love, Christine T.

2:17 am  
Blogger LosingSanity said...

Oh Helen! My heart goes out to you. I have been in a similar spot before, only it was my grandpa. Im sure it is that much harder, being a parent. But, I too, felt it an honor to be at his side as he took that next step to eternity. Reading the conversation you two had, brought tears of both joy and sadness. It shows the endless love, the devotion, life!

There is a country song, By Holly Dunn, called Daddy's Hands. I thought of it when reading about your dad's hands. If you get a chance, over the course of the next few days, you should listen to it or at the very least, read the lyrics. They are beautiful.

Im searching for the right words to say, but I know that there really aren't any. ~Hugs~Hugs~and More ~Hugs~ I will continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

3:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helen, I am so sorry to hear that your Dad is in so much pain. Please know that our family is keeping you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. I hope that you all are able to be with him as much as possible in the days to come.

3:36 am  
Blogger KateOnTheGo said...

Helen, its going to be a tough few days for you, no doubt, but I am sure you know that you are in all of our prayers at the moment.

Kate.

9:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soak up every minute of time with your father and your family. I hope your sister can have the same opportunity.

You are also blessed that the hospital allows such interaction. My friend in Toronto has a parent sick during the SARS break and nobody was allowed in and she was alone for her 48th wedding anniversary. Now it is only 2 visitors at any time, no exceptions. It is very difficult for families in times of stress.

God's speed to your dad.

Deb

12:37 pm  
Blogger Julie Q said...

I am praying and hoping your prayers are answered Helen. I am so sorry for the pain you and your family are going through.

Keep your memories close, they are very comforting when losing a loved one.

12:47 pm  
Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Helen I'm so very very very grateful that his pain is nearing it's end. I'm blessed to have been even this small a part of his life, reading about him and the wonderful man he is has made me a happier and better person. I wish him a peaceful passing. Please know that I am here for you and your family whatever it is you might need.

Hugs and Blessings.

Julie

5:47 pm  
Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Jenn's blogger connection is acting up... just wanted you to know that she also sends her love.

Hugs

6:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for all your dad is enduring. I wish him peace and no pain. I am truly so sorry.

6:51 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Helen, my heart is breaking for your entire family. While his time may be coming to an end, your's is not. He will be missed.
I am so sorry. For his pain, for your pain. For this awful time.
My prayers are with you all.

-Jes

7:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sobbing. Your retry touched ever bit of my being. Probably a little too close to home for me. I pray that when it is his time that it's a peaceful as he is now. Cancer is terrible. My Gram has cancer, we've known for almost a year now. She was given just a few months. Next month it'll be a year. I am grateful for the time that I've had with her and knowing how I feel I can feel what you are. Your family is in my prayers.

Hugs

7:05 pm  
Blogger Bill said...

Father,

I pray that in this extremely difficult circumstance that you would receive so much glory that the foundations in eternity would shake. I pray for Helen and her family and I ask that you would pour out grace and tender mercy upon them all. Please heal this cancer if that be your will. And if not, please cause everyone who is involved with this tragedy an opportunity to see you and your goodness. In Jesus name I ask these things.....Amen!

7:15 pm  
Blogger MamaTink said...

Oh Helen. I sobbed and sobbed after reading this entry last night.

I am praying all the time for his remaining life to be pain free, and peaceful, and full of love from friends and family.

Many prayers. And Much Love.

~Lisa~

7:24 pm  
Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

http://www.babyzone.com/Features/Community/f_Posts.asp?tpc=4493806&brd=615

8:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helen,
I am so sorry that you are going through this. I admire your courage and outlook at such a hard time.

You and your family are in my thoughts, may his passing be peaceful.

Erin

8:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your family as they go through this. I am praying for you guys. What a beautiful testimony of this wonderful man. He has touched my heart as have you and I am just a poster from a website. Amazing. May God hold your hands as you go throgh this.
GretchenBZ

12:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helen, you and your family are in my prayers. I pray that your Dad will have a peaceful end and that the Lord will hold you all in His comforting arms as you go through the rough days ahead.

2:37 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

I am so very sorry for you and your family Helen. I just came back to check on you and am saddened to see this news. I'm glad you are getting this chance to speak with him regarding his feelings and yours. How special.

4:51 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home