Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Thursday, April 06, 2006

The good, the bad and the hideously dressed.

Is it over yet??
Today I mean.
The kids are asleep, exhausted from their full day of activities. I am suffering from a mildish case of post traunatic ( see? can't even spell it right) traumatic stress syndrome. What could have happened that could cause such trauma on a thursday in April, even with the sun in the sky? I'll tell you what, NON UNIFORM DAY AT SCHOOL! Yeegads who would have thought that such a thing could be such a shocking way to start the day??
Now, I like to think that somewhere along the way I lost most of my control issues, learned that the be all and end all isn't a well matched child in spotless clothes but heavens to Betsy, there has to be SOME kind of line doesn't there?
Take 2 children with eccentricities, Aspergers syndrome and obsessions with clothes, wake them up and tell them that yippie, they get to wear whatever they like ( first mistake) to school today.
By the time we hit 8.10am I was ready to hit anything and anyone in my way.
One pair of jeans, aged 2-3 years, 2 boys aged 4 and 5 and both wanting, no NEEDING to wear the afore mentioned jeans. 35 minutes, Isaac conceded and Seth got the jeans ( ooooh that actually hurts mummy, they are SO short, shut mouth and accept that I DID say they could wear what they like) Hmmmmm what would look good with too short jeans? Couldn't matter less because what was worn with too short jeans was an equally small t-shirt , GREY socks and black school shoes. ( wishing daddy would drive and take them to school so I could say I was ill and had no idea they were out in public like that) Oh, but we haven't finished yet because there's the fleece, the blue one with the broken zip, aged 3, beloved by Isaac.....grabbed first by Seth who isn't known for his ability to feel the pain of others and was unmoved by the plight and howling of Isaac, for 20 very long minutes.....I left to get the car ready ( I can't tell you how hard it was to not point the thing in the direction of the motorway and keep going) and somehow daddy removed the fleece with the broken zip and Seth was wearing a hoody aged about 16 I think, HUGE hoody, too short jeans, grey socks and black school shoes.
At least the sun was out, beautiful day, Elijah was headed to gramma's and didn't care that it is thursday not wednesday because he DOESN'T THINK THE SKY WILL FALL DOWN IF WE CHANGE THE ROUTINE!! He was dressed in....who cares? HE DOESN'T CARE! He was wearing what I chose for him , first time, just like that....and I thought that it would be heavenly to go out in the sunshine with H, no kids...... except he had other ideas, miserable sod, and despite the fact that he cleaned the house , I managed very well to stay mad at him all day for being such a blasted stick in the mud. On my headstone ( except I think I will be cremated) will be " at least her house was clean" If I die first he will be there with a handy supply of wet wipes making sure there aren't any sticky marks on my headstone...either that or he'll be out making up for lost time in order to make my dear departed soul happy, raising a glass in some great country eatery saying to the sky that this one is for me. Let him try and I'll haunt him!!
I picked my shoddy looking offspring up from school and was bowled over to hear, wait for this, that because of the weather, P.E was outside today, football and basketball and my Isaac was SO excited he SPOKE TO THE TEACHERS!!! They were so excited that they let him choose one friend and stayed outside with him ALL AFTERNOON! Just to let him have the freedom to have fun and talk and be brave and by golly it worked, he dragged me over to Carol and looked right at her saying " we play bathtetllball all day lon did we Tarol? I ferry dood, I frow it and frow it and ..TAROL you thee me frow it????" there was SUCH Excitement, bless them all , they didn't actually say a word about the fact that he was SPEAKING they just all joined in about how exciting basketball was and nodded their heads until they must have felt giddy. Oh please let him keep talking and be able to get on well. I know he won't magically become 'better' but if he can just talk and not be afraid of such everyday things, if he can feel safe nough to show what makes him happy and say what worries him. He is asleep, football on his pillow ( yes it's very dirty but I think joy kills bugs, so that's OK)
Actually, I had lunch with the girls, me, Donna and Julia, we do lunch, once a week if we can swing it. Marvellous, pah! to grumpy husbands who don't want to go out and play, pppttttthhhhhhhh, we all had clothes on that matched too, a bonus in my life, no-one argued or cried about having the wrong plate...although I did make us swap tables twice , simply because I could.
Sometimes it's just a case of if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You paint the picture so well, I feel like I'm there!

(((((Hugs)))))

And Woo Hoo! on Isaac talking at school! WTG big guy!

3:18 am  
Blogger Julie Q said...

I have to agree with April. :) You make me feel like I am there with you Helen.

And WOW on Isaac talking to the teachers! My own shy boy has opened up like a can of worms at school lately, so I can imagine how great that was for you today.

Bummer H wouldn't go out with you on such a lovely day.

12:28 pm  
Blogger MamaTink said...

Oh love, how I feel your pain...well, a very small amount of it anyway. My dear Jenna LOVES to dress herself...which should be a great thing right!? Until she comes down the stairs this morning wearing black tights, a blue skirt with pink and purple flowers and a purple shirt with red trim. OY!

I am SOO thrilled to hear about Isaac speaking and yelling and telling stories and playing!! I very nearly wept when reading all of that Helen. What a wonderful beginning :)

HUGS!

~Lisa~

7:30 pm  
Blogger Jenn said...

HUZZAH for the Isaac Boy - How wonderful that he was able to convey that excitement for the teachers and for you too! I'm sure you were thrilled. Doesn't take much to make us happy does it? Joey said 'Na' yesterday while looking at a Banana, and I assumed correctly that he was asking for that - My heart flew when he said it, and I fed the boy banana's all morning! LOL.
Seth is too funny with the too small pants. Matthew won't ever wear pants that are too small - for fear that somehow he'll end up wearing shorts, and God forbid anything should creep past his ankles in 90 degree weather.....except a bathing suit - that's ok - as long as it's a full body bathing suit with zipper.

12:39 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home