Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Mummy called the doctor, the doctor said...

Well, actually I went to the doctor, lovely understanding doctor who pats me and tells me to do the lottery and get rich.
I balked a little at telling her that in the 2 weeks since I saw her last I had gained a medical degree from the school of google and knew that I had Lupus. She was very patient, even as patient as she was, I still saw that involuntary flinch and grimace that real doctors give when faced by a self diagnosing, neurotic hypochondriac. She took a deep breath and then said "hmmmmm"
Then "Actually I can see why you would think that, why don't we order the blood tests, although there are many and still not terribly reliable. Your full blood count has always been so good which would throw me as that would very often be out of whack. Also, the lab might refuse to do them without cast iron conviction that this is a strong possibility. Lets do it anyway."
So tomorrow morning we are going to get that done, so we are.
I impressed her with my in depth description of all 3 types of itch that I have, ( and never even for a second let on that she thinks I spend way too much time pondering and then detailing my every woe) She is almost as excited as me about my appointment with the dermatologist on monday, she even had me promise to share with him my vast thoughts and descriptions of my skin and welts, itches and aches. I'm sure it's because she so wants me to be healed and made completely well ( and not so she doesn't have to deal with me) and not at all because she has a warped sense of humour at the thought of a colleague having to listen to me wittering on about myself at length.
As I left she said " Helen...stop googling!"
Talking of wittering on, as I waited for my doctors appointment, the receptionist called "Helen!" ( oh yes, first name terms thankyouverymuch)
"are you supposed to be seeing Mandy today?" ( Mandy the counselor) seems I was, so right from Dr to patient listener I went. The rotten thing about a new listener is the fact that you have to start from scratch and tell the whole sorry tale again, as I rattled of my list of problems it struck me just how bizarre and crazy our family and life is! Still, it's my life and I probably wouldn't change it for anyone else's. She is going to try and get me back with lovely Jan because really, the thought of starting again when I could just settle right back with Jan and tell her the new stuff, it just seems the most sensible thing to do.
I turned cold here overnight, Brrrrrrrrr, winter might be on it's way. I have worn a jumper all day and not felt hot or sweaty....Oh dear.
Yesterday, I actually paid ONE POUND, £1 for a LITRE of petrol. That is ridiculous, if there are about 4 litres to the gallon, that's £4 a gallon, $8. Beyond stupid and ridiculous. Frightening. Something will have to give, I just can't keep spending what I do on petrol, our car does 13 miles to the gallon, old jallopy that it is. £20 every other day, just to do the school runs, I fit shopping in around the school run and have had to cut out any fun trips. Still £60 a week on petrol. Hell. Might have to walk yet.
No school next week, 10 days without driving the 3 trips to and fro and dropping off and picking up, heaven. Sheer heaven. I often hear people say they would love a housekeeper or someone to do the ironing, me? I'd have someone pick up and collect the kids from school, I just hate that job!
In 7 weeks we will be in California, time is flying by and we are beginning to really think about how wonderful it will be. H is talking about heading down to visit Rob and his mom, taking the boys and leaving me, alone in a posh hotel, for 3 days. Imagine. Huge bed, room service, pool, breakfast....peace and quiet, sunshine........imagine!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie Q said...

3 days alone in a hotel! I vote YES!! :)

I do hope the tests bring some answers Helen.

Ouch to the price of gas there! It is about $3.00 a gallon here and it is breaking us every week! I use about $60 in gas for my school runs. Which I don't like to make as well. :) Then another $25 for Ken's gas money for two and from work.

5:45 pm  
Blogger LosingSanity said...

3 days alone..all alone in a hotel??? Where do i sign up! Sounds like a very nice bonus!

Good luck with the tests and hopefully you get some answers on your health.

I don't have to run kids to and fro, much. I do have to take Seb to my mom's (3 miles away) 2 times a week. For me, the running is back and forth for me to go to school. It gets costly. And I'm out in the "sticks" so no option of walking too many places at all. Unless you are an olympic trained athlete...lol

7:55 pm  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

I want to go to California with you. Sounds like a winner to me! I am excited for you!!!! Clara

11:57 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home