Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Fear....a marvellous tool.

Let me get something straight, when you have had six kids with a 18 year gap between the oldest and youngest you get to realise that although it might seem as though you no longer have a say in the way the world, not even your tiny piece of it is run, there are moments when you see that actually you have enormous power, terrifying and terrific power.
Bedtime, sacred almost, in this house, guarded and protected and enforced with every ounce of strength and determination I can muster, my babies can suck the life blood from me from dawn until 7pm and then, on the dot, I turn into a beast, scary ogre like dictator who will change from smoochy love 'em and melt mummy into the stern faced mama with the voice that can bellow like the monster from an award winning fairy tale.

LIE DOWN LITTLE BOY AND GO TO SLEEP OR THE BOGEY MUMMY WILL EAT YOU!


Is it luck then that my children have all been rather good at going to bed, all seemingly as fond of clean sheets and comfy pillows as I am ....hoorah!

Not Elijah....where has my sleepy boy gone? Where is that baby that couldn't keep his puppy eyes open after 5.30 and would crash with dinosaur blanket and suckly thumb and would drift off without so much as a thought to expect a patted back or rock in a chair.......He's gone, ran off when the boy who discovered catapulting over the side of his crib was so much more fun than sleeping.

It should be an olympic sport, to be able to literally swing himself over the side of that big old cot in one fluid movement woud win this boy a gold medal. Tonight he was determined to just keep going for gold.
I tried the fun approach..ha! I tried the somewhat firm approach..ha ha. I tried the firm and really firm approach...ha ha ha. Big gun time now. LIE DOWN AND GO TO SLEEP! ha ha ha ha, hysterical now ( that's me by the way, he was just loving it) After 30 minutes of bouncing the kid back into his bed I had had it. He got a smacked leg. Oh horror, oh the howling, oh the pitiful how could you, I thought you loved me, streaming eyes, hands over brow, open mouthed bellowing, til I got out of the door when I heard the tell tale chuckle, thump, stomp stomp stomp...open the door with huge grin...3 steps into hallway where he clapped eyes on me standing outside the door. Oh for you to have seen that look on his face. He about turned and ran hell for leather back to his cot saying "OOOOOOOOH me doe bap! ME DOE BAP!!!" yes matey you'd better go back!
Oh what power. Such control, such fear to have put into this child, I am the almighty who must be obeyed and not afraid to use whatever means it takes to get him to sleep....and after another 27 times of putting him back in his cot he got the message!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

That little stinker!! I had to laugh at the description though. you paint a very vivid picture of the frolicking fun turned into fear at the notion that mum means business! Oh how I wish you'd captured "the look" although the little bum crawling back into his cot is pretty telling of the tale!
Doe Bap Lijah!!

2:42 am  
Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Sounds like My Mom. You know... for all the fear that woman generated (and believe me we feared her) she only ever actually hit me maybe once or twice (I can't even remember...) Funny huh?

Julie

4:23 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home