Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Sunday, April 09, 2006

I've held off writing about this experience because it is particularly personal to me and also could sound as if I am whacky! However, it Is my blog, this was my experience and it made me feel so much better that it is worth recording and keeping for my children to read later.
I wrote earlier that our family all seem to be keeping the worst sadness to ourselves, rather than risk upsetting the calm and collected composure of another we are all having our howling moments alone and trying to deal with them as they come and the best way we can.
About a week ago, I woke up at 1.30 and felt alll but crushed by how sad I was. I could hardly breathe because I just love my dad so and the realisation that he really ISN'T here for me to see, tease, ask, look at or take for granted anymore was just to huge to accept.
Now H is marvellous in his own way, he is a cleaning, cooking, ironing, shopping marvel, no household task is too menial or dull for him, probably because anything less than orderly and organised is painful for him, because I am not my normal have it all sorted, ready, dealt with person, he is in a spin- so if he takes over, it WILL help me, but it will also restore his routine, he will know that all is well. He doesn't do emotions. He is the tree from which my little asperger boys have fallen. He has given me a pat or two, he has said that as often as I need to go out is fine, he has taken over the reigns of the household with an iron grip ( I just hope I don't have to break his fingers when I feel ready to get back in the drivers seat) but he can't help with the pain of it all. I'm not saying he won't, he truly can't. So, if I cry I have to do it when he can't see or hear, if he sees or hears and then can't do what I need him to do, I find I hate him for a while and he can't help it, not fair on him or me.
So, I lay very still and very quietly and let my soul have it's release. It was physically and emotionally quite the most painful time. Suddenly, I felt the most extraordinary feeling, not a hug but my whole body, from head to toe was squeezed, comforting and safe, calming and reassuring, but never before have I felt anything like it. I know it WASN'T my dad. I didn't see anyone but I heard, " He is alright, I promise. But you will hold him back if he is worried about you." I knew he was near and could feel that he is is more than alright, he is a different person in that he is happy, truly, unreservedly and completely happy and smiling .
I am still sad, but just for us. I don't worry about him, I don't think about what he won't do anymore or things he can't see. I think he can see everything, he understands now what it is all about and probably, he feels a tiny bit sad that we can't see what he does. We all have work to do while we are here and his work was done.
The great thing is, I am beginning to see him as he was again. The sights and sounds of him in the hospital are fading thank goodness. When he pops into my mind, I remember the real him, the him I knew always. That's a great thing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Oh Helen, your post brought tears of joy and awe to my eyes. You are an amazing woman.. truly.

Love you!

12:43 pm  
Blogger Julie Q said...

You do not sound at all whacky Helen. I am happy to hear your wonderful memories are comforting you now. They will more and more I am sure.

I felt Ken's Grandma around me for the longest time. I think she may have thought I needed her. :) It was comforting for me to have that feeling.

Take care Helen. You are in my thoughts daily. And I do wish I could give you a big hug.

2:55 pm  
Blogger Jenn said...

that was beautiful!
I'm so glad you are starting to have pleasant memories and happier times when thinking of your dad. So wonderful that H is such a good support for you too.
(((hugs)))

5:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for shareing that.

I'm so glad your memories of your dad in the hospital are fading and the 'real' him is showing up again.

(((((Hugs)))))

4:28 am  
Blogger MamaTink said...

Wow, that was beautiful. After Al's grandma passed, we went to visit the family a couple months later, and we went into her home...it just wasn't the same, it felt cold and empty. Both Al and I missed her terribly.

On our last night in Timmins there was the most beautiful display of Northern Lights I have ever seen. A sense of peace and love fell over us all, and we knew...everything was going to be okay. Grandma(who's name was Helen BTW :)) was there with us still.

HUGS. I know how you're feeling. And you're writing about it so beautifully.

~Lisa~

11:18 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home