Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Say what you mean.

I just had to write another entry today because it's worth recording.
Today was a big church conference, hundreds of people, great singing and the promise of some inspiring and uplifting speakers. A bit of a journey, maybe 35 miles or so but I look forward to these meetings because I am sure to meet up with many old friends, my favourte thing!
So, meeting over ( and a lovely one it was too, my lovely dad was mentioned and thanks given to him for all the work he did for the church, took us all unawares and of course, we had a weepy few minutes) H was ready to go ( like a horse at the starting line, straining at the bit) can't blame him, he isn't the chattiest of people and he doesn't know anyone but us. Mum finds the whole chatting deal more than she can cope with and so she asked quite quietly if she should take the keys to the car or if she had time to go to the bathroom and then head to the car.
I said to H " did you want to go talk to anyone?" Blank expression.
" H, did you want to go and talk to anyone?" completely blank expression.
slightly exasperated I asked again. Nothing, puzzled look on his face but no reaction to speak of.
I was lost as to why he should be being so dim! Hello??? Simple enough question....In a tone not used to my husband often, if at all, I said
" IS-THERE-ANYONE-YOU-WOULD-LIKE-TO- GO -AND- SPEAK-TO-OR- ARE- YOU GOING- TO- THE- CAR??"
"Oh, oh, no- I'm going to the car"

On the way home, mum said " I have to apologise to you H, it was my fault you and Helen had that misunderstanding at the end, I didn't want to hang around but didn't know if the car was locked"
She then went on to say she had never heard me talk to him that way and was horrified...he then told us that he had thought I was saying " you wanna go talk 21 ( twennyone) ??" He thought I was mad and was asking if he wanted to go to some kind of weird after church club when it was nearly dinner time!
Heavens above, we supposed to speak the same language, the amount of times we misunderstand each other is frightening, communication is SO important in a marriage don't you think??

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes it's very important. Thanks for the reminder ;-)

4:33 am  
Blogger MamaTink said...

LOL! Oh your poor mom fretting over an argument that never happened :)

Al and I mis-hear each other all the time. We're doomed when our hearing Really begins to go :)

Hugs!!

~Lisa~

11:13 am  
Blogger Jenn said...

talk to 21 - bwaaahahahahah - sorry, that just struck me as very funny. I wonder why my boys give me that deer-caught-in-the-headlights look, when I've spoken a perfectly understandable sentence to them in the Queen's English. "do you want something to eat?" Maybe they are hearing "do you want something TWEET" or "do you want something SWEET?" because after asking 42 times, Matthew will invariably yell out that he wants chocolate eggs......

At least the mystery is cleared up and you got a bit of a giggle out of it. Communication is important indeed - and so is saying when you don't understand.

2:51 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home