Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Does God have a sense of humour?

A resounding YES comes from my house! What a day it has been today.....my dear car, 14 years old and still serving well, has been without a handle on the side door for months, since my ex husband who is part neanderthal pulled the blasted thing so hard it came off in his hand, every trip with the boys since then has meant opening the front door and reaching around to open the side door...then strapping 3 boys in their car seats and repeating the process at the other end of the journey. Ahhh Kevin's name has been mud ever since and many times ( which actually he would probably be grateful for because lets face it, Kevin is hardly a name to be proud of especially when you hail from Birmingham and have the accent to go with it, so Mud is an improvement I should say...or do I just associate the name Kevin with all that's dimwitted? )
Anyway, refusing to pay the ridiculous prices I have been quoted for a replacement I have been nigh on obsessed with my pursuit of a second hand bargain. HOORAH!!! Bless you man on e.bay ...I won a handle for a mere £8.70 including P&P, arrived this very morning and fitted by my husband who is a giddy marvel at all things handy and even manages every time to have a few pieces left over, 3 nuts and a bolt today, I think.
Not only that but following my oil change ( somewhat tardy and very much needed) the oil change light refused to go out, every outing since october has had me explaining to passengers, that I don't need an oil change just need to get the light turned off. Imagine my delight yesterday when sitting at traffic lights I noticed a little button beside which were the words "oil change" Oooh what could that mean? I wondered and reaching back to grab a balloon on a stick ( always good to have one handy) I poked the stick part through the hole and HEY PRESTO- No light telling me to change my oil! Whoopdeblinkindoo, I couldn't be more pleased if my car was a new one ( liar, someone send me a new people carrier and see if I'm happier, bet I would be as long as it's not lime green-- I saw one of those last week and felt very superior in my nice silver grey one, albeit it so old, misplaced closet snob is what I am!) So, here I am with my new handle, no oil light and felt that in honour of such a momentous occassion I would vacuum my car, yes, vacuum it, not sweep the cheerios and crunched up hula hoops out with the ice scraper with a brush attached and hope the neighbours don't see, actually use a vacuum cleaner. ( I must tell you about my vacuum one day..note to self)

Lordie lordie the queen's not my cousin! I was just so throroughly proud of my car I could scarcely bear to leave it but Isaac had to go to nursery and had snot all over his face, sit him in and run inside to grab some wet wipes.....hmmmmm Sophie is home, why? School isn't finished for 3 hours...she began to tell me and it sounded so totally ridiculous that I just knew if I even began to reply I would be late, so..out the door. WHERE IS MY CAR?!?!? My shiny car with no crumbs. no oil light...a handle on the side door and MY ISAAC! ( not listed in order of importance, naturally) I felt like I was a slow motion part of a horror movie and was rooted to the spot even when I saw my car...down the hill, over the road, on top of a tree,yes a TREE a real one, knocked down, flattened and under my car! Terrified Isaac in the front seat with beloved Lellow Ba ( yellow blanket) stuffed in his mouth.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Only a teenager could find that a hilarious sight, right then, at that moment and trust me to have 2 of mine next to me taking in the sight...that's what spurred me on to move and get to my child ( rather bizarrely taking my handbag with me?!?) He was fine, miracle of miracles, he hadn't a scratch on him, he had missed 2 houses, a 10 ft drop, a lovely shiny new car and because the wheels were locked in a curve he had somehow just hit the tree, also because the whole thing had happened in reverse he had just been thrown backwards into the seat.
We couldn't move the car though, the tree had been uprooted and the roots were jammed right under the axle, couldn't reverse, couldn't go forward. Oh how the lady on the phone at the recovery centre loved me, as did the man who was sent to rescue us....they said that it beats a flat battery and they shall be thinking about us all day, I shouldn't wonder if our ears burn tonight as we are discussed in the pub or over dinner...especially as I had to report to the police, the highways authority ( who thankfully own the tree not the neighbour who has taken a completely unreasonable dislike to us as we park where he used to park) my insurance company and grandma.
All is well though, as the tree is replanted, the car isn't cracked or bent anywhere but the bumper ( how lovely that at least one part of a car has a name that is simple and descriptive, unlike the crankshaft; now what do you suppose that does? It's name certainly doesn't tell us does it?)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Now I shall have to begin a new search for a new ( to me) bumper....never a dull moment is there?
I can hear the angels hooting with laughter at me today, ha ha, here we go again! ( thankyou for keeping my Isaac safe though you cheeky angels you!)

4 Comments:

Blogger -Lo said...

Oh goodness, you are right those angels were looking after that one!

9:02 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Helen,
I'm so sorry that it's just one thing after another! You truly have an amazing spirit to be able to smile so shortly afterwards!!! You are such an inspiration in so many ways!!!

3:48 pm  
Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

YIKES!!!!

Glad everyone made it through ok!

Julie

4:50 pm  
Blogger Julie Q said...

Oh my gosh Helen! That would have scared me too. I'm so glad everybody is ok.

Julie

5:17 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home