Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Let them eat cake.

It has been noticed by us, as a group of mourning females, that every time we do anything to do with the funeral, the legalities of dad passing, feel sad, move, or even think about what to do next, it is quickly followed by a trip to the nearest cafe, restaurant, coffee shop or Mac Donalds.... ( that is a last resort but not to be sniffed at if it's 7 am on a saturday morning and we need food.)
Oh dear, have to go to the hospital and collect the cause of death certificate? Better go and have a nice lunch afterwards.
Hmmmm, registering the death? Oooh coffee shop here too, nice cake and hot chocolate.
Choosing flowers? Aha......do you get the picture?
We are finding some heavenly places to sit and eat, and cry and laugh and cry some more.......we thought that before long we will be reduced to saying "HEY! It's the 5th anniversary of when we remembered dad cutting the lawn...better go and have some cake!" It's just as well we are charging around ( actually I think we might just be charging around in our heads, in reality we are trudging along with leaden feet and weary hearts) do you think grief burns a lot of calories? I would appreciate it if it did because when you have to do all these horrible and sad things before you have had a chance to let rip to the throat gulping sadness of it all, it is only kind to eat cake and scones with jam and nice comforting hot chocolate with frothy cream on.
It would be churlish NOT to eat the bags of chocolate chip thingammies that I saw left on mum's hall table, ( yes Leah I did see them , don't think you can hide them and not tell me!!) or the delicious basket of goodies that is so huge she is DEMANDING we help her eat it, wouldn't it? I think that God would be unkind if he let any of this stuff be fattening when he has our dad with him and we are trying to be brave and generous and understand that the angels deserve a bit of putting in order. So, if we are settling for cosy cafes and stodgy food after dealing with officialdom ( which it must be said has been the epitome of kindess at every point) the least we can expect is that any and ALL calories be ignored by our bodies. Thankyou.
I bumped into a church member today while I was hunting for some fat lady tights that won't make my legs feel as if the circualtion is being cut off or roll down my belly if I bend down to grab a tissue to weep into on monday. She is a young woman with 2 babies and a sweet husband and she told me a story I didn't know....I am beginning to think there may be many..... dad went to visit her family one evening, on church business. They were just going to eat dinner and she dropped her dinner. No big deal she said...anyway, visit over and off dad went...only to return with fish and chips for Gail, he said he couldn't bear the thought of her not having dinner. I love hearing these stories, it is balm to an aching soul. He was a good man, but I knew that already.

6 Comments:

Blogger MamaTink said...

He was a good man Helen. And very importantly, he raised a good daughter :)

Enjoy your cakes and chocolate guilt free. there can't possibly be calories in any of it.

Funny thing...when I go to the grocery store, and see Caramel Scones, I always think of Al's grandma's funeral. My SIL scarfed down sooo many of them :) They bring nice memories of a very difficult time.

~Lisa~

8:24 pm  
Blogger Julie Q said...

A very good man Helen. It must be wonderful to hear stories like that from people. :)

I believe it is called comfort food. I agree with Lisa. Enjoy it all.

3:45 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I
Just
want
to
hug
you
and
take
away
your
pain.

4:49 am  
Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

I think it's wonderful that you are finding so many ways to celebrate your father's life.

Keep the stories coming.. I love them!

Hugs

3:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stories like that make me see why you are the way you are! You are so wonderful and giving and caring because you were raised by a wonderful father who was loving and givng and caring!

And the food is definitely called
"comfort food". Eat as much as you'd like. It has no calories!

Hugs and more hugs sent across the ocean to you and your family!

4:09 pm  
Blogger LosingSanity said...

How nice to hear such stories of your dad's greatness shared by all. It is obvious that he touched many lives.

And I say....eat your cake..and scones and anything else that sounds yummy.

6:41 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home