Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Where are you from?

Well well, this morning, faced with glorious sunshine I decided that I would WALK Elijah over to mums house. Yes people, WALK. With my legs and the huffing and puffing thing. Trying to look as if I do this all the time, up hills and everything. It's not too far, but we are in a bit of a hilly up and down type part of the country, so for the unused to exercise ones among us, a fairly strenuous start to the day.
Because I feel pretty good today ( and I'm sure I would have felt good anyway please don't tell me it was the exercise that did it!) I am going to list some of the benefits of having walked rather than drive.

1. Ability to stare mindlessly ahead and think about whatever I like instead of concentrating on how many middle aged men who have been driving for 30 years, so have full rights to the road and be darned to the highwaycode and all that stuff, will pull out in front of me, make sure that under no circumstances do they allow me to slide in front of them when having to change lanes and just generally be a hazzard to one and all on the roads. It was very pleasant to talk to Eli about the things that 2 1/2 year olds find fascinating, not have to hold my mouth in case a really fruity expletive came shooting out, aimed at a middle aged man.

2. Daffodils and pansies. How can you not enjoy daffodils and pansies in their splendour in every front garden and courtyard in tubs. Hoorah! spring is here and we saw it because we WALKED.

3. I walked past my car, twice. I laughed at it. No petrol from me today you gas guzzling monster. ( for which I am incredibly grateful, have to say that as it is going for it's M.O.T next week, must pass without need for work, nice car, serves me well car,please don't cost me any more money car.) Amazing how we depend so on these things, the very thought of being without a car is very frightening to me!

4. I saw for myself, that now the weather is getting better, we really CAN walk the boys to school, this means that H can do it too! I can stay in my PJs some mornings while HE does the clinging leg thing and drop the boys into their classrooms. Oh JOY!

5. I worked up a sweat. That's not in itself a good thing, but I know it means that I burned some calories, that IS a good thing. Normally I say that my overall goal in a quest to lose weight is to be more healthy. Yep, absolutely, but actually this time I want to get THIN, at least thinner. Much thinner. I want to be able to do simple things like wear a shorter t-shirt, not have to search for something that I think hides my belly and bum, I know I'm not kidding anyone, these things aren't being hidden!
I want to be able to sit next to H and not feel like I am a hippo snuggling a koala.
I want to go clothes shopping and just see something and buy it, not check to see if it is stretchy material, if it is a generous size 22.
I want to look at clothes and snort because, huh I can't buy THAT it's WAY too big for heavens sake.
I REALLY want a summer where I don't drip sweat and try to look as if I don't know, or care. I know this summer won't be that way but if I can get through this one feeling that it will be my last one suffered such a way, that'd be fantastic. Sweating is not good on a woman, even on a pig it is unflattering, I want to stop doing it if the temperature is over -2 and I move faster than a sloathe.
How lovely if I can meet up with friends and be excited because we will be having fun and enjoying each others company, not worry about how hard it is for them to not look at how fat I am or worry how much I grunt when I move!

6. Feeling a bit self righteous first thing in the morning certainly beats feeling under a cloud and wishing it wasn't morning. I enjoyed seeing other people out and about and thinking they were sure to be impressed by me being out and about using my legs and walking my delicious boy on his way to gramma and titty Leah's house. Maybe they saw my red and throbbing face and imagined I had been running just before they saw me?! Maybe they didn't actually give me a second thought ( unless I said "good morning" to them, which I did if they were elderly ladies still wearing their winter coats because they daresn't cast a clout til May is out!) Who knows, the great thing about walking is that you can think of such things because if you lose concentration and crash it will only be into a post box and you'll just look ridiculous, probably brightening someones day, if you're driving...well you can imagine.

So, I have discovered that I actually enjoy walking, if it's TO somewhere, if there is a destination in mind, with a goal at the end...I just can't quite imagine putting on my shoes and a cheery smile for the sake of walking around in pointless circles just so I can say I have been for a walk. Tomorrow I shall walk somewhere else, I hope I can take just Eli in the pushchair. Seth and Isaac aren't fun to be out with unless it is at a park. How can 2 such little people cause so much turmoil in a small outing? Why must they see something they need / want/ can't live without and melt down and hold breath when they can't have it...EVERY TIME THEY GO OUT?!? One at a time I can reason with them.... 2, I'm outnumbered and although they aren't at all in cahoots, it's them against me and my eardrums.....nope, they can stay at home!

Oh funny thing, this evening Seth and Isaac were taking a bath.....
Seth said " Isaac! Look at your skin. Look at it..you are SO tanned. Where do you come from? Are you from a mountain in India? I think you are...you are very brown." HA HA HA!!!!!
Isaac was very disturbed betoz he ith from Talifornia, he not a indian and he not from a mountain.
"Where is Elijah from Seth?"
"The gypsies." I say no more.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Day 2 has been easier than day 1.....I like that. Doing 2 days of being kind to myself is twice as good as one day. Yippee.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie Q said...

The gypsies. Very funny Helen. My Mom used to threaten to give my younger brother & sister to the gypsies. Very cute your boys are. :)

Good luck on your journey Helen. It sounds like you are off to a great start. I enjoy walking to places as well. I just don't have any place to walk to, from here.

12:43 pm  
Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

YAY Helen! I confess I make daily walks to the grocery store just to have somewhere to go. Course that's not great on my pocketbook.. but it's been helping my thighs ;)

11:03 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home