Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Halfway through the week....

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Half way through our pay week..and LOOK still money! Gas is charged up, electricity already has enough to last ( both pre-pay meters) cupboards stocked, healthy food being eaten ( homemade leek and potato soup for lunh today, mmmm!) This budget is really working out well, it is almost fun to see how little I can spend, when walking home ( because if I walk, I buy less because I hate to carry huge bags home!) I find myself walking past shops that I would ordinarily go into, why tempt myself when the idea of having cash left on wednesday to transfer into the 'treats' pouch is so appealing?
H is happy because he can see what is there and where it is going, he also gets to shop without having to ask for cash ..... he takes the boys too which is GREAT!
This week has been sort of hit and miss because there were so many bills to pay too, from next week the idea is that there will always be enough in the bank to cover standing orders and direct debits, no more penny pinching and scrabbling around to find the money for those bills.
I do feel a certain amount of shame at just how much money has been frittered away on ...what? Nothing really to show for it! Bad me.
Even E.bay is losing its appeal somewhat, I just don't look because we don't need anything. I don't need to see a bargain that is irresistable.......so I don't look.
It feels like we have more money. We don't of course, but seeing cash, split into categories, makes it all more real.
To me, it doesn't feel like spending cash when I use my debit card, I can spend £30 here, £28 there and not think a thing of it...if it's cash in front of my face I think harder about whether I want / need that item much more.
I have also started giving ME an allowance, £30 a week, the same as H....I have never done that before, its been a case of if I have money I buy it, a magazine, hair stuff.....but usually I don't buy it. Now I have a seperate purse for MY money, I can buy a treat or save........it feels good to know that there is something set aside for me to choose.
I am fascinated to see just how much money stays in the bank now. I don't think for a minute that we will hoard up huge stashes of moolah, but just the idea of not having to panic when the rent is due to find that extra £100 I used on who knows what.....thinking about having the CHOICE of whether to go away for a weekend....all this is hugely attractive to me, it will be heaven.
So, so far this is good, we can definately see how possible it is to live like this. I hope it quickly becomes habit and we can see all the benefits of sticking with a plan.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Oh WTG Helen! You're doing SO well!

I'm so pleased for you! How wonderful to see your hard work pay off!

2:46 pm  
Blogger Julie Q said...

That is great Helen! I have to agree about the debit card thing. You don't have to watch how much your spending as closely because you know how much is in your bank account. So easy to go over what you planned on spending.

4:04 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home