Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Friday, February 23, 2007

Do you think America could handle...

A visit from the loud family?
We are planning it, for Christmas THIS year. H is homesick, I need sunshine and malls and Disney land and Sea world and target and even Walmart, maybe.
The saving is going pretty well, we are doing H's citizenship in the next month or so and Seth and Isaac, I discovered just today, can have an English passport because they have an English mother, which would be marvellous me.
If it wasn't 10 months away I would be hopelessly excited, as it stands, I am cautiously excited with a smidgen of 'yeah right, lets see what gets chucked at us before then shall we?' thrown in.
Part of me worries that when he steps foot back on his homeland, H might break into uncontrollable sobs and beg to be allowed to stay and never have to return to the land of rain and heart attacks. Bless him, he thinks that living here is what makes us all ill, it is hard to explain that it is much more the fact that we have 3 little boys going to school and nursery and basking in other kids' sneezing and spluttering bugs.
I love many things about America, living there isn't one of them I didn't love that, at all. All year round sunshine, loved it.
The galleria and apple and cinnamon bagels, delightful.
Theme parks of enormous over the topness, heaven to me.
The real life, every day. The harshness and the class distinction I encountered was so horrible I still break out in a sweat at never being the popular one ( except for being English everyone loved that) but the rest of me was deemed poor and not worth wasting time on I'm afraid.
I was never so lonely as when I lived among so many people.
I have never had money but until I lived in L.A ( and Utah) I have never EVER felt poor. I felt, in America that all I was missing was my shopping cart and soul flapping shoes. I am an incredible snob with delusions of grandeur, I loathed being reminded that despite a rather nice English voice, I was pretty low down the old social scale.
The idea that actually, lucky us, we can have the best of BOTH worlds, we can live here and walk with head high and pride in tact and then fly over and have the kind of holiday most English people dream of. 4 weeks in California, trips to all those glorious theme parks where everyone smiles with huge enthusiasm and beautiful teeth. Shopping trips to places that sell fat lady clothes on racks that aren't hidden at the back of the shop and don't cost 3 times more than thin lady clothes.
I shall drag H out at 6am on saturdays like the old days and we will go to 300 yard sales and spend $3.
I shall spend time with Marilyn and do girlie stuff while H and grandpa do boy stuff with the boys.
We will eat out and remember how HUGE those portions are, get doggy bags and put the left overs in the fridge for breakfast because they do that in America but here? How rude to ask to take food home, ewwwww imagine!
We will marvel at wearing shorts and t-shirts in December and January and phone home to ask what the weather is like here,
and we'll really really hope it is raining and cold here.
All the time we are there, I will love every minute and we will squeeze every wonderful memory in, but we will be happy that we will come home here, where we live.
At least I will, I wonder how H will feel, when I lived there I wouldn't even entertain the thought of coming here for a visit, I knew that if I stepped foot back in England I would dig my heels in and my heart would break if I ever had to go back.
So, the countdown begins. 10 months of saving and planning and
excitement. California here we come! Is it ready for us do you think?

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Moobear said...

Whooppeee for you Helen. I am getting excited right along with ya. I just wish you were coming to the East Coast rather than the West Coast. I would just love to meet you and go shopping with you (to those women's racks). LOL, I have hestitated going there, but it is now time :). I do hope all works out and yes the US would love to kidnap and keep you here, but home is where the heart is and for you that is England. Take care, keep the positive thinking and it will be here sooner than you realize.

Have a great evening my friend!

8:59 pm  
Blogger LosingSanity said...

Well, I too, wish you were coming to the East coast, as you would be much closer. Cali is still a world away for me over here in Michigan! LOL.

of course,if you came here in Dec/Jan, you would be in eskimo clothing, bc it is very much cold, snowy and icy!

Hope that the next 10 months brings you nothing but savings for your big trip! It must be very exciting!

9:10 pm  
Blogger Julie Q said...

Oh, I hope you get to come Helen! :) I am glad you enjoy it here, just for a visit, so very much! If I weren't so chicken, I could somehow get there, but I won't fly. :( And I couldn't bring my little boy with me.

I am happy for you though. I hope it happens. :)

How is little Cobi? I don't know what it is about that little guy. Perhaps just the beautiful pictures you took of him maybe. But he is so sweet.

9:47 pm  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

Helen, that is so exciting! I hope everything works out for you. I've never been to California, but I'm sure they will welcome you with open arms. I'm thinking on the same line as everyone else. I wish you were coming to the East Coast. You would be mighty welcome in our neck of the woods!!!!

10:19 pm  
Blogger odat_kim said...

Oh, how exciting! I hope all is good on your visit, and that it's just a visit!

11:22 pm  
Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Oh don't for a second tell me that you're hopping the pond and not making a pit stop in Ontario! HELEN I COMMAND IT! I mean it! Find out how much more it would be to stop here for a few days and tell me or I shall never forgive you! TORONTO ONTARIO Helen.. that's where you need to go!!!

Oh you will meet me and Jenn and Lisa and Warpie and Julie can come up and even Sara .. oh just imagine the joy!! yes yes YES you simply MUST come here to stay with me for a few days Helen.. I COMMAND IT!

11:47 pm  
Blogger rachel said...

Uh, while you're in Toronto, come to Michigan! I know (from your little map thingy) that you have several readers here, too! Ok, I know it's just wishful thinking, but I had to ask! Bummer, though, I could have taken you to our quaint midwestern small-town ward!

7:15 am  
Blogger Susie said...

Here's another vote for your swinging by the east coast! :)
I'm sorry about the snobbiness. You don't have snobs there? That sounds wonderful. When I am well, visiting your country is on my to-do list. I'll keep you posted.
Um, I've never asked an actual English person this: do you all like to watch Keeping Up Appearances? My daughter (11), my MIL (77), and I all adore it. I like the making fun of snobs.

8:48 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home