Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Sunday, February 25, 2007

One of those days.

Emotional ones. Oh dear.
Nothing to do with AF ( hysterectomy 1, keeping womb 0)
It was church that did it. Today was a day to celebrate young women ( yes, we do that at church, at home we sort of try to pretend we don't know any, especially if they live here and are being a bit unpleasant) The young women ( 12-18) pretty much did the whole service and even though we know these aren't always this clean looking and smiley, we like them and look at the potential they have etc.
So, all these young women on the stand and they were giving talks and reading poems and they sang. I am such a sucker for a lovely song. They sang, very beautifully about how they are of infinite worth and I felt the gulp feeling. That lump that starts in your brain and slithers to your throat and somehow makes your eyes water and leak.
I looked at this group of girls and really saw them. I saw 4 with 'that' look, you know 'the' look, that tells mothers of other teenage girls that these girls know how to be teenagers, that life is not fluffy and fun for their parents. It's such a sad look, one of defiance and asking to be challenged. It makes my blood run cold and my heart quiver a bit.
The other girls, they looked different and it was possible to see they they actually believe they are of worth, that they believe there is a purpose for being here. When they sang, they sang believing the words, they didn't just move their mouths and hang their head hoping no-one was actually watching them. I cried. Because my girl doesn't believe she is of worth. She can't see that the things she is chasing are not the things she needs. What are these 'children' looking for out in the world, what are they chasing when the stop going to church and start going to pubs and clubs and hanging out with people who have different values? I have yet to meet even ONE young person who walks away from the good, wholesome, uplifting lives they have been raised in, into the outside world with few morals, low standards and worldly pursuits that is happy.
I have this beautiful daughter who is miserable, who gets dressed up to look exactly like every other teenager she is mixing with, who goes out and bahaves the same way, she drinks and smokes and is loud, the way they all are, these girls she spends so much time with.
She cries because she doesn't stand out.
She is sad because she isn't noticed enough or loved enough and she hasn't met anyone that wants to love her or treat her nicely.
What can I do to show her that she is looking in the wrong places? If she only goes to places where people are drinking and smoking, she will meet drunks who stink, basically.
I wonder why so many of these kids are born to fight against the people who love them most, who really DO know what will make them happy.
As a teenager I didn't fight against it all. I really did look around and see that the things my school friends were doing held no interest to me. I wanted good things, I somehow grasped that the things my parents had taught me were good things and although it was tough to be so different, I liked it. I wasn't bowed down by pressure to be the same as everyone else. I discovered, without fail, that whoever I dated, admired me. Even if they couldn't stick with the hands to yourself rule, they admired it and respected me and even years later when I was grown and had children, they still tell me that I was the one that they think of with respect and admiration.
There is a young woman who got married last week, she was there with her new husband and I loved watching them. This couple did things the old fashioned way, the way we are taught in our church. They waited til they were married to sleep with each other. Imagine that.
What I saw today was how I believe things should be. A young couple who learned about each other, fell in love, became friends, made plans, laid the real foundations for a good marriage. They ( I imagine) experienced that burning longing to be together...and they waited, they made plans and then they got married. You can SEE the joy, see that they have that new happiness, marriage for them is truly a new beginning, not just the next step because well, done it, seen it, bit bored with it.
I know that this way of looking at things is old fashioned and not popular anymore.
I did it that way. 22 years ago and it wasn't popular then, I was a freak to have not slept with at least 1, maybe 2, howabout 6 men before I married.
What if you're not compatible? Phooie, you learn to be compatible, what if......yeah, what if, what if you meet someone who, like you thinks that sex is amazing and the very icing on the cake, that when you have the other stuff decided that comes into it and makes it very nice indeed thankyou. To me, too much importance is placed on fulfilling the physical desires and needs, when the emotional and spiritual and intellectual needs are met, the physical gets better, it is the icing, not the cake.
I remember that feeling of at last being able to 'be' with my husband, of feeling that I now belonged to an exclusive club, was a woman. The running home to experience that wonder of having my own home and a husband. I was 21. Very young to be getting married, sadly quite old to be a virgin.
These kids want everything so fast, they can't wait for anything. Nothing is put into a category to be worked for or earned. It's all so acceptable and disposable. It all makes me horribly sad.
I saw those girls today, who understand that these things ARE worth working for, who understand that they are worth the very best and I cried like a mother whose daughter runs with the crowd.
Where did I go wrong? Did I go wrong or is this just her path? Does she have to learn the hard way that to obtain greatness you have to work for it and put yourself in the right places, avoid being anywhere that puts you in danger.
I really believe that this emphasis on sex, this losing of the real meaning and purpose of it all is putting our kids in danger, physically of course, but emotionally as well. They give themselves without realising that that is what they are doing, sex is no more than a handshake, a how do you do, oh bother don't like you after all, next one please.
With every giving, surely something gets left behind? A little bit of soul, some self esteem.
I felt such power as a teenager. I felt so great. My heart was so broken when my first love and I broke up but he didn't take anything with him that was mine.
He left with me, me.
I want my daughter to feel that strength. I want her to know that what she is is hers. She doesn't ever have to give away any part of herself. If she waits, she can share herself with someone who will give back even more, make her more than she is.
I want somehow for her to sing in her soul that she is of enormous worth and can walk in faith knowing that she will never want for anything if she is true to herself.
This could all read like a mumbo jumbo load of twaddle. I don't care. I wish we could stop the way this world is going, go back in time to when ankles were sexy and youngsters courted each other. Chaperones and taking your time.
It is so sad that the world makes everything OK. Everything that is apart from being different, standing out from the crowd, saying no.

4 Comments:

Blogger rachel said...

I wish I had the right answers, Helen. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any right answers. One of my biggest hesitations when considering parenthood was that my child would grow up to be a teenager and be subjected to the world before I was ready.

I think all you can do is be an example to Sophie and pray your guts out. I wish there were more I could do to help.

12:09 am  
Blogger LosingSanity said...

Friends have a big influence...it's like, we as parents, can only do so much, but when they hit school and are around friends, trying to fit in, sometimes they make wrong choices. I remember being a teenager and thinking I had all the right answers and how in the world could my parents know what they are talking about? Sadly, it wasn't until i had wasted about 7 years with a guy that i dated (or whatever you want to call it) that I realized that they were right...I was about 20 at that point. They had known all along.

I have cousins who just blow my hair back...i wrote you about the one situation. It is just "common-place" to do things these days that even I, at 26, wouldn't have dreamt of doing around my family/friends, some of it, i wouldn't even have dreamt of doing at all. It is very scary. Sometimes I watch it all and can't help but wonder why i brought kids into this crazy world!? How awful will things be when they reach the teen years?

I wish there were an easy answer...the world has really gone crazy and i often wonder if there is any turning back?

1:14 am  
Blogger odat_kim said...

If there can be hope, there are those that wait still until marriage I did, and I've only been married 2 years (I was also 32 when I married, unheard of I think to wait that long). I also wholeheartedly agree with your statement "make her more than she is" I have found this to be very true with my husband, and I never would have imagined it since we were friends for 9 years before our relationship began to change. I also agree with your statement about feeling so powerful as a teenager (well young adult for me) and that ended relationships I could remain on good terms with the gentleman, and I didn't leave anything behind, other than the heart I had shared.
Kim

3:02 am  
Blogger Claire said...

Your post makes perfect sense, Helen. I don't want to be preachy but I work with the YW at church and I'm preparing the lesson for Sunday and just read this in a talk from Sis Tanner, the YW General Pres.:

"Many families struggle with wayward children. We can take comfort in "the eternal sealings of faithful parents" which will draw children "back to the fold." We must never give up loving them, praying for them, and trusting in our Heavenly Father's care."

Hope that helps. Your Sophie sounds like a good girl despite her challenges. Just keep loving her!

6:40 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home