Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Things that make me go ewwwwww.

When I was 16, I knew that no matter how handsome a boy may be, I would never be able to love him if he wore turtle neck sweaters or was called Nigel.
Funny the things that we feel are unacceptable to us. H could wear a turtle neck and I suspect I would find him every bit as delicious as I do now. When I was 16 though, turtle neck, ewwwwww, shudder.
I dated a handsome fellow for a short while, I so want to tell you his name but what if he googles his own name one day to see if he is on the internet and then he sees that some woman who cooked dinner for him one night was repulsed by him because he had long finger nails. I want you to know his name because had I managed to overcome my revulsion at his REALLY long nails, I would still have been in a quandry because his name was really awful . Darren was his first name which is alright isn't it? Sort of trendy even, his surname was dreadful, immediate connotations of a penis, with 'er' on the end. Thank goodness for his long nails because what if I had fallen in love with him and married him and got stuck with THAT name and then even had to pass it on to my children, sons forever cursed with that name.
Phew.
My friends and my sister kept telling me what a catch he was, handsome and a plumber ( always handy) he was good to his mother. I tried, truly I did, but those nails, they were really long, really filed, really girlie and I just flinched every time he went to hold my hand or touch me, I knew he would snag a jumper should I ever wear one in his presence and well, no woman wants a man with nails THAT long to even think of anything intimate.
they were clean, at least, but just couldn't get past the fact that they made me shudder.
It never occured to me, as a 19 year old, that I could ask him to cut them. Rather like Jordan not thinking to tell Mel that she can't sleep in his bed. ( Happy to say that since I told her myself she goes home at night...which is funny because wasn't she thrown out? Hmmmm, me thinks that may have been a ruse. Foiled my boy. 1 to me I think. )

I would never, ever be able to date anyone that makes any kind of noise when he eats. H never used to make a sound but sometimes, now, I hear him. That worries me. The older I get, the more unacceptable I find noisy eating. Either I will have to pray for deafness or hope noises at dinner are a passing phase. I'm not saying H is a pig eater, far from it, but I really can't bear to hear ANY noises from eating people, except from crunchy foods, through a shut mouth, no-one can help that. I'm not a complete eating nazi. Just crunch things quickly please.

H ended some relationships for weird reasons too, lipgloss was one, he said one girl he dated insisted on wearng copious amounts of cherry lipgloss, he just couldn't stand the thought of having to kiss those slimy lips. Bye bye.
One woman had grey roots....poor thing, he doesn't care a bit about my grey hair, wonder what he'd do if I put on cherry lip gloss? If he grew his nails I would have to say something.
He mentioned a beard again today, oh dear life, not again.
Do you remember his Father Abraham stage?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I hated that beard, really hated it. I told him today that I hated it and asked him please not to do that again. Which means he probably will.

So, what turns you off, have things changed from when you were young? Is your husband/ wife just what you pictured or the complete opposite?

Oh, by the way. I feel a party coming on. March 16th. This is a party with a difference, you can all help. More tomorrow. Can you stand it?

9 Comments:

Blogger odat_kim said...

To be honest I have a thing about men's lips and chin. I like a well defined chin and nice lips. Many men have no lips, or just the little bow, nothing across the rest of the mouth or too big lips (too big tends to mean wet kisses). Hubby's are a little on the big side, but OK other than that. You're hubby looks like he has nice lips, since I'm thinking about it. Looking at the family picture on the top your whole family does, lucky you!

Kim

2:30 pm  
Blogger Julie Q said...

Ken is smarter than I ever thought he was. Not that I didn't give him credit, he was just so shy in the beginning he didn't say too much. :)

Other than that, he's pretty much the same person I met/dated/married years ago. Just a little rounder around the middle. ;)

I wouldn't like if Ken grew a beard. He looks too much older with just long whiskers. His work doesn't allow facial hair though. Lucky me. :)

2:45 pm  
Blogger rachel said...

On my first date with DH I noticed he had really long (and carefully manicured!) fingernails, but only on the right hand. I almost got out of the car right then and there because it grossed me out so bad, but then I remembered he played classical guitar. Since picks aren't used with classical guitar, he needed fingernails. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE his guitar playing, so I put up with the nails.

And actually, they're great for a back tickle. Plus he carries a nail file in his wallet, so if I ever need one it's there. Ok, I'm sharing too much now!

I actually love beards. One of my prerequisites for a husband was that he would grow a beard for me. But being Italian, DH tends to look a little middle-eastern with a beard, which makes for interesting airport delays. He had a beard until a recent calling in the church, for which he decided to shave. :(

What turns me off? I can think of three things especially. Nose-picking, tooting and snoring, none of which I knew about while we were dating!

4:05 pm  
Blogger The other me said...

Kim....I am the only one in my family to have miserable little lips, everyone else has the most glorious kissy ones, H, Dan and Eli have the most divine cleft in their chin too...maybe my next post will be about what makes me completely melt!

Rachel, H NEVER farts if I am around, I have never heard him do it unless I walk past the bathroom at an inopportune moment. Can't say I have ever seen him pick his nose either, he is such a gentleman!

Julie, men always seem to hide their intelligence! Either that or bore us to death with it!

4:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't really think of anything Cleverwife does or did that really irritates me, nope, nothing..I'm sure that she could give you a list of mine though

4:48 pm  
Blogger The other me said...

HA HA!! LACEY! No it wasn't it was.....no, can't say. I'll email it to you!

6:37 pm  
Blogger LosingSanity said...

Hmmm...my hubby is a bit more rough around the edges than I ever thought I would go for. Does that make sense? But he has a really soft side to balance it out.

Long fingernails would gross me out. Sometimes Jeremy's nails get a tad longer than i would like and I let him know all about it. Ear and nose hair hanging out would surely do me in. But, i can't really think of much else, bc I look at the whole package, i guess.

12:41 am  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

It's so funny...the things I loved about my husband before we were married are the things that I hate now. He wouldn't wear sandals...I thought he was a real man because he wouldn't wear sandals....now I think he is crazy to wear his wing tipped shoes all summer. He wouldn't wear shorts before we were married.....I thought he was being modest....now I think he is crazy for burning up in the summer in his polyester pants.
I'm sure there are things about me that he doesn't like, so we just try to accept each other the way we are.....after being married 50 years, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks....LOL

1:23 am  
Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

I am a HUGE fan of facial hair... but not on H.

2:50 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home