Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Saturday, January 27, 2007

The 2nd post. I think your skin will crawl too.

This post won't be funny, won't be entertaining and might strike you as not me. It is me, this is what is inside me all the time, usually smothered and forgotten because life has become so much better and is predominantly joyful.
Sometimes, things happen that make the world stop in it's tracks and pull us up with a start, this morning that happened to me.

I am exceptionally tolerant with my teenagers. I am more tolerant that my sisters and seemingly more tolerant that my childrens' friends' parents. Not anymore.
I have always wanted my kids to feel that this is their home. I wanted them to want their friends here and feel happy with being here. I have had teenagers sleeping here on floors, sofas, spare beds, Jordan's bed, Sophie's bed. They have been here for one night, three nights, 7 weeks........we have fed them, listened to them, yelled at them, laughed with them.
More and more we have seen those flexible boundaries pushed and pushed. Children need to know where they stand and I have forgotten that with these big kids. Not anymore.
It seems to me that they have totally forgotten who runs the show. I really think they believe that this is THEIR home. That's different to their home.
Shall I bore you with details? Here goes.

I told you about Mel, Jordan's girlfriend. I told you the rules I set, I have told Jordan the rules, told Mel the rules, over and over.
Last night...or this morning at 12.45am I went to get a drink before going to bed and Jordan and Mel came in, I spoke to them and said to Jordan,
" Do NOT blow this, don't do anything to make me sorry I said Mel could stay. This is your room, Mel sleeps in the spare room. If at any time H or I see this door locked and Mel in it with you, she goes. You might well go with her. I raised you 3 big kids the way I wanted to, I chose what happened in our home, I chose what you saw and what you didn't. These little boys deserve the same . I don't like what you are doing with Mel, I can't stop it, but whatever you think, whether you agree or not, THIS IS MY HOME , you will do as I say or you will answer to me. Do you understand?"
He said he did.
I went to go to bed and remembered something else...walked back to his room and when I opened the door I recoiled and made a horrified noise because in his room was a man that made my skin crawl. I hated him on sight, no reason, just did.
They laughed, because they thought I jumped and 'ughed' because I hadn't known he was in the room. I said what I had to say, went to bed.
At 6.45, I woke for a pee, walked out of my room and coming out of my little boys room, half dressed, was the skin crawl man.

Dear God.

Me, talking quietly " did you want the toilet?"
Him " no, that's free"
"then what do you want?"
"I was looking for where I was"
"Well, were you were had better be downstairs, what are you doing here?"
He went downstairs, I followed, he went into the spare room.
I went into the front room where H was with Eli and Isaac, I began to speak to H and tell him what happened when I stopped, because I wanted to puke or punch someone.
I flew through the kitchen, door to Jordan's room locked. I think the whole street may have been woken by the way I hammered on that door.
Jordan opened the door and asked what was up....
"THAT!" I yelled pointing at Mel. In. His. Bed.
"Either you are incredibly stupid, or you think I am. Which is it?"
"well, she slept here because Neil slept in the spare room"
"And Neil is the man I just saw coming half dressed out OF MY CHILDRENS ROOM IS IT?"
He was stunned but that might have been because he woken up after so little sleep.
"Sophie said he could stay, not me"
" I don't care who said he could stay, he was in MY CHILDRENS' BEDROOM AND I DON'T KNOW WHO THE HELL HE IS!"

I made Sophie get out of bed and tell Neil-whoever-the-hell to get out of my house. Now.
Sophie and Jordan are indignant, that's my fault, I have allowed them to feel that this is THEIR house, it isn't, it is their home. For now.
What happened today could have been the very worst nightmare for any parent. I have read about people waking up to find their children dead because some creep chose to do evil to them in their own beds. This man that was allowed by my children to sleep IN MY HOME was someone they 'sort of' know. A good laugh, comes into work, known him ages, Oh you know Neil, ah, whatshisname, it doesn't matter, he's OK.
I have spent the day heaving. Wondering why, or how, when faced with him coming out of that bedroom ( and actually he was just lost, still too drunk to know where he was ) why did I not punch him, with every ounce of strength in my overweight body, right in his weasley face? Why did I speak to him so politely? Why did I retain such calm and poise?
I have no doubts at all that this was nothing more than idiocy on his part, he went back to bed, if he had been up to no good he would have scarpered.
I am more angry that these damned selfish individuals that I gave birth to are so stupid that they think having any scum they meet up with in MY HOME is alright. It is NOT alright. IT IS NOT ALRIGHT.
I am done. H who pretty much goes along with what I decide for these big kids, has spoken. HE said he has reached saturation point, he has said enough. Is enough.
No more stupid squealing girls, no more loud and idiot boys. NOBODY THAT HAS BEEN DRINKING. Stay the hell out of my house.
How do we know who these people are, this was not a 17 year old. I am sick with thinking what could have happened.
Here we have 3 little boys who, with every right in the world, don't even have to give a thought to the fact that they are safe. It is a given that they have 2 parents who will do everything in their power to protect them. I am obsessed, you all know I am obsessed, with keeping these little boys untouched by evil. There will be NO monsters in their lives, not if I can help it.
I see that look every day in their faces, that was missing in their brothers' eyes. That clear, unblemished trust, innocence, if you have never seen a child without that look, you may well not notice it is even there, but I do and I cherish it. Be damned if anything will snatch it from these children.
When I took Elijah dancing it was even more sweet to me because I had been reminded of how blessed it is to see that light in his eyes every day of his life. Every time he looked over to see if I was watching and he grinned, I saw that joy and relished it even more. When Jordan was his gae he didn't smile much. He didn't laugh, he was never naughty. He was very broken.
I think that may be why I have allowed him to overstep the mark so much here now. Everyone told me he would never be the way he is, I was told how he would always be partially broken, that he would have issues with relationships, be afraid of sex.
I don't want him to be sad. Well, mad is different from sad. He is going to be mad when I tell him Mel can't stay. Tough. He won't be sad.
Sophie will, is, mad that we dare tell her what she can and can't do in 'her' house. I told her that when she pays the rent she can have more of a say but the rent here is more than she handle, perhaps she should start looking for a bedsit and then she can fill it with every kind of low life she chooses.
We spoke to Sophie at great length, til she was sick of hearing it. She thinks we are over reacting. Oh well.
I have told Jordan to come right home after work at 9pm, he asked if he was in trouble....d'ya think?
I wonder if they have any friends whose parents will take pity in them and let them stay for a week or seven.

Now we've got that our of the way, read the post below, it's happy and uplifting and just makes me grin from ear to ear . Dance baby, Dance.

8 Comments:

Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

OMG Helen this post made me feel totally nauseated. You're 100% right in your reaction and your decision.. I can't believe they'd let just anyone stay like that :( Yikes!!!

Hugs Hugs Hugs

10:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Helen. You are darn tootin' right to be angry and you did the right thing. I am so glad that nothing awful happened but to think of what might have happened. Ugh. Nauseating. Its amazing how egocentric children can be isn't it? Hugs to you hun. Hugs

11:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer I read the other post first!

I am so sorry, Helen, that your compassion has been rewarded with such a horrible event. You have every right to feel the way you do, and no adult in his right mind would disagree.

I know what you mean about the light in their eyes. I hate to look at pictures of myself as a child because my eyes were dead. No twinkle whatsoever. Because of my childhood I am SO overprotective of my children. I don't trust anyone. I know that's not right, either, but I'd rather err on the side of their being safe than being hurt.

12:30 am  
Blogger LosingSanity said...

I was so relieved to read further that H had the boys with him. I was very ill to think that your boys had been in the bedroom that man came out of!

Tell those teens to pull their heads out of their bums. You are so right in what you did. It reminds me of what my mom would always say in reference to the teens (us)...give em an inch and they'll take a mile. It certainly is a time of pushing all the limits. And here I am with terrible 2's and thinking it just can't get any worse than this.

I am so sorry that you had to go through this, but do remember that it isn't anything personal against you. Teenagers just want it all and want it all their way!
Hope things get better! (I know, like when they are out on their own and call and visit and you can enjoy them..but it isn't you they are keeping up all night and causing you this kind of grief.);-)

3:24 am  
Blogger odat_kim said...

You are 100% right about being mad at both Sophie and Jordan. Having Neil come out of your child's room is completely unacceptable. Your house your rules, my parent's were the same way, and we didn't bend those rules.

Boyfriends/girlfriends were not allowed to sleep over, and if on the extremely rare occassion that they did, they slept in separate rooms from us.

Eli is so sweet in dance class too!

3:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't begin to imagine the horror you must have felt in this situation. You are absolutely right in setting the rules and enforcing them. Again, I must tell you that I think you are a great mom. So glad the day also had a positive side, Eli is so precious! He makes me happy just to look at him.
Paulette

5:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, have to agree selfish gits called teenagers!

I can only imagine the fear & horror you must have felt seeing that stranger come out of the boys room, sickness hit my stomach as I read this. I am SO sorry - and how inconsiderate and rude of both Jordan and Sophie! Can we just lock those 2 plus Kayla up on an island and say happy trails to them?

I swear if Summer or Zac pull these stunts I think I will either go over a cliff or push them over one! (not literally, but will feel like it anyhow)

12:51 pm  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

Helen, what a night that must have been. I don't blame you one bit for being mad at Jordon and Sophie. Rules are rules and it is YOUR house to do as you see fit. Bless you for being the Mom you are. The world needs more like you!

2:23 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home