Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Friday, March 16, 2007

There now, that didn't hurt a bit, did it?

I am not girlie, not a bit. In fact I just pretty much hate anything about that titivating, fru fru, frilly making stuff. Poke me in the eye with a blunt needle rather than make me sit and go through all that fluffing about. Please. Life to live and all that.
I enjoy a massage, just don't be frilly about it, if you mean it, put your back into it and release those tense muscles!
Dye my hair, yawn......takes too long but I do it ( myself because have you SEEN what they charge at the hairdressers and those grey hairs are going to fight through just as fast anyway) because I'll be darned if I am ready to have people call me granny to those little boys I done birthed myself. Also, grey hair, just looks so tough doesn't it? So, shiny dyed hair because I am worth it . Plucking, also, fact of life, not ready for uni brows ( never will be) or chin hairs or a moustache, has to be done, every day unfortunately.
Shaving legs and pits, oh please, do it but not happily and not often enough.
Nails. I used to have particularly gorgeous hands, in fact at one time ( 18) a photographer asked to take pictures of them because they were very lovely. Not so much anymore, the nails still pretty much grow long and strong, neglected as they are, if they break? Ptttth who cares? They have to go through such a battering every day, cleaning and getting washed and scrubbing and getting bent back all day long while I am lifting and such.
My feet. Flintstones feet H says, poor feet, they are tired and all battered and rough. I have the weirdest toenails, they curl and are so tiny it is ridiculous on such a big body, teeny little baby nails on fat old flintstone feet. Shame. They are so ticklish I just about pee if anyone touches my feet , they do love reflexology because that is firm and not tickly. I have never understood that whole pedicure deal. I do like the idea of pretty feet but in my life? Where is the time and the money?
So, this evening Sophie ( she of beauty school) said " d'you want a manicure and a pedicure?" well, look see, I was showered, in my PJ's watching American Idol ( I love Takesha, hope she wins) why not? I asked. So I did. Sat here like the queen of all she surveys and let my daughter do her thing and for heavens sake....it was rather pleasant. I have rather pretty feet, with no rough cuticley things, and red nail polish ( lawks!) and my finger nails are all french polished and filed. The days of my hands being the object of adoration or envy are gone, they are old lady hands now, big old butchers hands ( I think) and not worthy of a photographers attention. Tonight though, they are nice enough that I shan't be scrubbing a toilet or cleaning the stove ( cool , not that I had any intention or anything but always great to have a bonafide excuse)
I can't see myself budgeting for such frivolities in the near future but look, I gave the child life, the very least she can do is give me a manicure / pedicure in the comfort of my own home wouldn't you say?
It's mothers' day here on Sunday ....just as she finished my treatment Sophie said " hey, this is your mothers' day present." I'll take that, beats everything I got last year, ungrateful brood. Actually the little boys have been so sweet, they keep showing me what they made at school and then hiding it again. Seth's card is the most touching thing, can hardly wait to show you.
So, I learned that to be a bit girlie once in a while, doesn't hurt. My feet are happy to have been noticed after all they do for me. My hands are happy that I remembered they used to be lovely and pretended they still are for a moment. My daughter is happy that I let her at me and showed that I care enough to do that even though the idea of this stuff really puts me in a bad mood usually.
Happy me.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger LosingSanity said...

I'm not very girly myself, but i do enjoy a manicure and pedicure. Of course, they rarely happen, bc it's just not in the budget. Glad you were able to enjoy it and I'm sure it was fun for Sophie as well!

And Happy Mother's Day!!!

2:36 am  
Blogger Julie Q said...

Not a girly girl here either. :) Well, maybe about my hair, but other than that, it's just me.

I'm glad you had Sophie had a nice time together. It sounds nice anyway. :)

I hope your other big kids remember Mother's Day. Mine aren't so great at it.

12:48 pm  
Blogger Julie Q said...

Happy Mother's Day Helen. :) I hope you get to spend some time with your Mum.

2:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that sounds perfectly Lovely!!! I'd love that so much!

Glad you enjoyed some good Mommy-Sophie time.

HUGS

I missed you too!!!

2:38 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home