Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Sunday, June 03, 2007

When the chips are down.......

I woke up at 8pm today, 4 missed calls on my phone..from Sophie. I called back and she was at the hospital, thankfully looking after a friend whose drink had been spiked. So easily could have been her and there isn't day goes by when I don't pray that angels will watch over her while she lives this life she is living.
I went to collect her and the friend, they both looked horrendous, both shaking with cold and lack of sleep, black rings around their eyes.
18.
Shouldn't this be the time of their lives? Shouldn't they have glowing skin and sparkling smiles? The friend had a termination a month or so ago...wouldn't you think that would have shocked her into a new way of thinking ? How do these kids' minds work? When they were in the car this is the conversation...
"So, how has this changed things then?"
"huh?"
"What happened?"
" E's drink got spiked, she was so freaked out, couldn't stand up, felt ill..."
"How did that happen E?"
"What d'you mean?"
"well, how did someone get to your drink? How can you make sure this won't happen again?"
" Keep hold of my drink"
"Did you not already know that? Will this change anything or will it be a cool story to tell your mates?"

I took Sophie over to Jordan's flat where I imagine she slept all day.
In the week since she left, while I have left her alone, she has decided to leave college and work full time, has secured a regular schedule at one of her jobs, has applied for extra hours at another one and has asked for some temporary work somewhere else. She understands that she is now responsible for herself. I can but hope that as she takes that responsibility she will begin to leave behind some of this risky stuff.
She kissed me as she left. I can't imagine what goes through her mind, I know what comes out of her mouth, though I can scarcely take it in sometimes.
The little boys astound me, they seem to wise, sad that Sophie has been used as a teaching 'tool' on how you can make yourself unhappy. They know that we love Sophie and that we always will, but the things she does are not things that we agree with. Just one week away, with no contact, with peaceful routine and just H and I with them, they noticed today after the 20 minute car ride how much Sophie swears. When we dropped her off, Seth looked at me and said
" Wow, Sophie really swears a lot doesn't she?" I suppose that when she was hear and they heard it day in day out they were immune, having a break has made them notice it more.
I feel a bit better knowing that when she needs me, she will still come to me. That will do for now.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger LosingSanity said...

Hopefully the jobs will keep her busy and out of trouble. And maybe this trip to the hospital will be a bit of a wake up, although, the conversation didn't sound too refreshing. But at least they may be a bit more protective of their drinks.

1:48 pm  
Blogger Julie Q said...

I'm always telling Amanda to watch a drink if she has one. Don't set it down. If she has to to just dump it. Scary what could happen if someone got to it. I want her to go out, but...

The house must seem quiet with Sophie gone. Quiet in a good way.

2:44 pm  
Blogger mom of 2 said...

Glad to hear that Sophie and her friend are ok! I hope she can find a better path soon.

5:07 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home