Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Saturday, June 11, 2005

I really 'get' toddlers.

I am in awe of toddlers. I am endlessly fascinated by their total ability to let the whole world know how they feel. The ease with which they transform from smiley human beings into huge open mouthed foghorn monsters is a complete joy to me. I absolutely love that frog faced bellow they do over the tiniest offence...." mama....cockert" ( Chocolate) " no, dinner is ready" "WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" face down on the floor and every ounce of rage and disappointment got out right there are then, fabulous, I love it, I am not being sarcastic here I truly LOVE IT!
Of course being met with a delighted mother and a comment of " how MARVELLOUS, that was a great one" rather takes the wind out of their sails and on the rare occassion when ( perhaps in a supermarket) I have been known to say " Oh that's pathetic you can do it MUCH louder than that" they stop mid scream and my delight is short lived, darn it.
On many occassion I have absolutely longed to get down there and join them, when struggling with a wonkey wheeled trolly in Tesco's, listening to an endless whining monologue of " I wants" oh.... let's not forget those people, who I swear only go to tesco to rub my nose in it, a little basket over one arm and all the time in the world and standing right smack bang in the middle of the aisle reading every word on the back of a pack of organic penne noodles. There is nothing I would like more than to hurl myself down on the floor, open my mouth and just let 'em have it.
I had a friend do this once, right in the middle of the street, her 3 year old had refused to go in his stroller saying he was a big boy and had to walk, didn't matter how far we were going he flat out refused to be subjected to riding the buggy, of course within 200 yards of his home he started the walk whine " I tired, my yegs hurt, I go a buggy now...I tiiiiiiiiiiiiyerrrrrred" 25 minutes we walked and he threw himself to the floor every 17 steps saying his yegs hurted and he didn't want to walk anymore....just as we reached the precinct he flung himself down for the 73rd time and she looked at him for a split second and went right down there with him, if someone had fired a rifle and yelled " freeze" she couldn't have done a better job of that drop....and then she screamed " ME TOOOOOOOOOOOO I TIRED, I WANNA GO HOME AND HAVE A CUP OF TEA!!!!!!!!!" through my tears of absolute mirth, complete appreciation and envy I saw the look on this 3 year old's face , the screaming had stopped and in place of the frog gob was a look of such admiration I was almost speechless, he stood up, held her hand and said " It's OK mummy, I help you" and was a sweet little walking companion for the rest of the shopping trip.
I wonder how many of our children would be as impressed and indeed sympathetic is they saw us behave how they do, I honestly saw this little boy understand just how his mummy was feeling when she did what he understood..maybe we should all give it a go!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

LOL - Oh Gosh, Helen, that post gave me a rip roaring laugh.
I've actually seen that gobsmacked look when I've gotten down to their level and thrown a tantrum of my own - I actually managed to send Duncan into a fit of giggles, although truth be told, I was rather silly looking, and wouldn't attempt it in public - no matter how tired my yegs were and I wanted that tea!! Thanks for the laugh though :)

5:09 am  
Blogger Me said...

Hi there,

I got your comment on my posting on Latter Days and was touched by what you had to say. Much as I want to personally e-mail you, your address is not reflected in your profile. So, I opted to send this message through this comment window (albeit off-topic in relation to this post).

I admire you and your sense of love for your son and I do wish all the best for both of you.

As for your question, NO my partner is not a mormon. He belongs to a religion here in Manila that abhors homosexuality and homosexuals. So the religion may not be the same, but his inner conflict is driven by the same ideology. He still hasn't come out to his family due largely to the same fears that most gay men from religious families have. That is, that their families would turn their backs on them and would make him feel like an outcast.

I am as lucky as your son that my parents, particularly my mother, have accepted me for who I am (and have become). Like everything you have mentioned, my sexuality did not change the fact that I am her son and love does not choose gender and lifestyle choice.

My mom is gone now so your message touched my heart immensely. Though we're miles apart, I hope this message could equal the hug I wish to give you.

Again, my heartfelt appreciation to your message. I salute you for being a compassionate woman and mother. :-)

Rocco Ryan
roccojohn2002@yahoo.com

P.S.

I will begin to read your blog from now on. I hope you don't mind.

4:07 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home