Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Sunday, June 18, 2006

The greatest thing.....

"The greatest thing a father can do for his children, is to love their mother."

If I had a better memory I could tell you who said that, but I forget. It doesn't matter really does it? who said it I mean, it's what was said that is important. Even though I have no idea who said it, I do remember that my dad always did it. He wasn't gushy, we've been over that many times before, but he loved her. None of his children ever wondered, none of us had the slightest doubt. None of ever cowered while having to listen to horrifying arguments, of shook with fear at the sight of him with his hand raised. As I grew older I heard friends at school talk about their fathers and it was hard to take in or accept that this was how some of them had to live their lives.

" Hear ye, children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding. For I give unto you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.
for I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.
He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.
Get wisdom, get understanding; forget it not: neither decline from the words of my mouth.
Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
Wisdom is the principle thing: therefore, get wisdom: and with all thy getting, get understanding."
( Proverbs 4:1-7)

How great are those words of a Father to his son, to look after and love his mother? telling him that he should love her and look after her and she would look after him.
I know there are many people who don't believe in the bible, but if you read it it is impossible to deny that in there are so many things that can do us only good, if we follow and imply them into our lives.

My dad taught us so many things as we grew up, he taught us by just doing it, by letting us see what he did, what he believed. If he told us to do something, it was because he believed it was right and good and we could be sure that he did it, or didn't do it. He taaght us that drinking wasn't a great idea, that alcohol really served no purpose and that fun was to be had without it. I never saw him drink a drop of alcohol.
He never lost his temper unless he saw any of us disrespect our mum. I never heard him swear, never heard him speak to her in any way other than with respect and honour, he expected the same from us.

I really miss him. I'm sad that he's not here this year to eat strawberry shortbread and be all blustery about having cards. What is here though is the lifetime of love and integrity that he gave us. I know how lucky I am to have had 43 years of such a lovely dad. So much security and such huge memories.

Somehow, since he died, I love my mum even more. Who'd have thought that possible? At church today the doors were open because it was hot, as we were singing I looked out of the door and saw my mum walk in, she was a bit late and I saw her walk up the corridor towards the Primary room where she teaches the littlest people. I felt such a rush of love for her because she hasn't given in and she hasn't stopped doing all the good things. No excuses for not loving other people and looking after them. Somehow it looks as though she has a protective barrier around her and I wonder if that is my dad.How can it be that after 49 years she would be without his love or his protection. I dont think she is. I'm sure he isn't too far away.

No matter how hard I try or how long I live, I will never be as good as my parents. I am blessed beyond words by having been born to them.
Happy Fathers day my dad,


I am listening to mum, I am loving her and am praying that she will be happy. I hope she keeps me!!
Thankyou for being who you were, for loving our mum and for teaching us so well. I miss you. I love you, Helen.

6 Comments:

Blogger LosingSanity said...

~Hugs~ Very beautiful Post, Helen!

8:54 pm  
Blogger JEFFY said...

I love my children's mothers. It might be wrong, but God knows I do love all three. More in love with Kiko though. Rex and Googoo's Mommie. You post was stunning! Thanks. Happy Father's Day to H !Kiss King

12:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:11 am  
Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Been thinking of you all day. HUGS

Julie.

5:13 am  
Blogger Julie Q said...

((Big Hugs Helen))

Very touching post.

2:39 pm  
Blogger DivaIsNotABadWord said...

hello darling,

I know Rabbi Schmuli(shaom in the home) says it and I believe dr.Phil also uses that quote.Your posts are eloquent as always,keep up the fantabulous work!
kiss kiss

Genny_1 from BZ turned blooger babe

4:09 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home