Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Sunday, August 13, 2006

The other side of the coin.

I am, you will have noticed, not slow to share with you the crap that is so often present in my day. I do this because I can be funny about it. It is incredibly easy for me to see humour in the most dire of circumstances. The funnier I am, the more fed up I am likely to be, if you ever read my blog and simply roar with laughter, pity me, things are bad.

I hope that I also share the good stuff too. Happy things are a joy and should be shared but because I am warped, I find it almost impossible to make it fun to read. I become all fuzzy and awwwww and look at how nice and lovely and twee this all is. Blech. Only so much of that a person can take isn't there? Tough luck, it's sunday, you're going to get the fuzzy blessingy type post whether you like it or not.
I like going to church.
Blimey.
Our church isn't cold and it doesn't smell of old concrete and thick curtains. No big gold candlesticks and not a bit of pomp or circumstance. Just lots of people wanting to do the right thing and show Heavenly father that actually they are a bit grateful for the good things they have so lets all go to church and sing and learn some more about the Creator and His son, Jesus Christ.
I like that. I like the people at church who are just so......real. Every day people like me and you and them.
I love the lessons we have because they are given by members of the church, I love it that they have read ans studied and then share with us what they feel and believe and we can chip in. I do...chip in, maybe too much sometimes, get me started and it's hard for me to stop. Since I have been going back to church I have been much more reserved, not sure I trust myself to open my mouth without some uninvited howl slipping out because, lawks a mercy -I am feeling stuff, emotions are back and the spirit is back and Whahahahahaaaaaaaaaa sometimes that can carry me away. Although not far enough H would be forgiven for saying, some days.
I really love to be sitting in a lesson, next to the man ( hey, imagine 10 years a single parent after 5 years of marriage to a non believing heathen , cheating sort of man, and LOOK I have a man in a suit who says prayers and goes to church and makes books for his babies and stuff, how flippin' great is that? It can happen, single ladies who are wishing it would happen....) I love sitting there and listening and suddenly feel that hand touch the back of my neck. That's heaven right there.

Today we were talking about proverbs and even if you don't believe in the Bible or anything God like...you have to get a kick out of Proverbs. Look, in here it tells me why I am overweight.....look

" He that is of a proud heart stirreth up strife: but he that putteth his trust in the Lord shall be made fat" Proverbs 28:25

Now pardon me for cristisising but that hardly seems a very good reward does it?

I love the language in the bible. It talks about the naughty man with the winking eye. It talks about being lazy and says that a little sleep is good....A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of hands to sleep. That makes me picture my dad, he would sit in his chair with his hands folded on his chest and take a little slumber....with a big snore. Perfect.

Anyway, I digress. I mean to be telling you what I AM grateful for, because I don't have worldly goods that make people envious ( although my lovely couch has made a few people drool) but I have so much.

Because it's sunday, I will be using scriptures, cool ones...like this one that says it all.

"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal;
but lay up for yourselves treasure in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where theives do not break through nor steal .
For where your heart is, there will be your treasure also."
Matthew 6:19-21:

See? It's all good to have the stuff. Just remember that it doesn't last, you can't take it with you. Some low life can steal it, it can rot and it can rust..( or just die in a smelly burned kind of way at the side of the road and be towed away) if your heart is with the material things in life...it's going to take a pounding when the 'stuff ' loses it's appeal. It does too, doesn't it? the better we have it , the more we want, the more we want, the more we forget what we have and what is important.
I have a lot of what IS important to me. I have time , time to be with my family, time to choose what to do with my children. Time to sit and chat with friends and loved ones.
I have a BIG family. I knew from when I was the littlest girl that I wanted a big family. It isn't as big as I would like. I find myself lately wishing for more of these little people, it isn't possible, so I don't dwell to long on it but ..oh it would be great if we could have number of the children we would like.
I always said I would have 5 children....I got six, cool a bonus. Elijah is such a bonus, better than a gold watch this boy.

I have siblings I really like......they are fun and kind and generous.
I have parents that have always been just so GOOD at being parents, who never made us afraid, unless we really deserved it and then we were afraid because we knew we were about to be punished in a way we wouldn't like......for instance, tease your brother and make him miserable, you get to serve him, get him drinks and make him dinner and suck it up if he calls you a servant. ( ouch) .
A mum who still makes you think and want to be a better person, even when you are 44.
A dad who dies and leaves a huge gaping hole because NOW who do you tell about the damn car and tell him what the noise was and who is going to tell you what he thinks that is and that it probably won't cost too much? ( and last night, someone did just that to make me feel better and it DID make me feel better, thankyou. ) A mum and dad who have spent their lives living just for you. Treasure indeed.
I have been reminded today that I do indeed have great treasure. I know it, understand it, am grateful for it.
I am really very grateful that today.......after WEEKS of having my blog be totally stupid and not being able to change the font, or see what pictures I am posting ...sudeenly I worked out that all I had to do was click on the 'compose' button instead of having the html deal ...who changed it in the first place I want to know???
Was that fuzzy enough?

Monday morning...what a relief, all back to normal and ready for a moan....I need to go and pick up so much and DO SO MUCH and I don't have a car, because it died.......I hope it is very sorry for doing this to me and that Jim kicks it when he has looked at it and if he replaces any parts I hope he even hurts when he takes out the old ones. Take that you old car you.



5 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

You brought tears to my eyes! This is a wonderful post. It's fuzzy, but REAL. Something so many people are not. This is inspiring me to really think about what IS important, and what is just fluff. Thanks for writing such a beautiful piece.

9:50 pm  
Blogger Jenn said...

WOW is all I can say. That was some powerful piece there Helen. You truly are one of the richest people I know! And one of the most clever, as you KNOW where your riches lie, 6 of the most gorgeous, and a hubby that loves you. Your church sounds like a marvellous one that is welcoming and not stuffy, and thank goodness it doesn't smell of old concrete and thick curtains - loved that line!

9:02 am  
Blogger Lou said...

As Always Helen, it was just great reading your blog..I totally agree with you about being grateful for the things that count. Most of the time when things are going good we tend to forget how awesome God is and always has been to us...you remined us..thanks

11:51 am  
Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

I'm so sorry about the van. I'm so proud of you for keeping the good in sight...

Love ya!

Hugs

Julie

12:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is truly church. Church isn't a place...its a body of people...being and living for Christ. You are awesome Helen. I love your posts. Sending you GREAT car vibes!

1:22 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home