Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Saturday, September 16, 2006

You can bring Rose, with the turned up nose, but don't bring that one.

It is done, our spontaneous DVD party, it was glorious and loud ( oh joy, get 19 kids aged between 3 and 7 and tell them to shhhhhhhhhhhhh, listen, stand up, we have to do something before the movie, listen..shhhhhhh are you ready? you have to JUMP AND YELL AND GET THAT ALL OUT!!!) ear bleed anyone? Have you ever tried actually giving children permission to do the very thing they are told NOT to do 300 times a day, see those looks...worth the ear bleed, it really is.
I took not one picture. Not a one. Because they aren't my children and so it doesn't feel right to put their pictures here. Also, because 'that one' was here. God bless him and his most bedazzling and beautiful eyes.
that one is called 'Naughty that one' at school, when you stand outside his classroom waiting for the kids to come out you will hear his name called, quite firmly, very often. The children have named him naughty 'that one' because there are 2 or 3 with the same name and well, that's what kids do, big 'that one', little 'that one' and naughty 'that one'.
I have oft wondered if 'that beautiful one' gets invited anywhere, I think I learned today that he may, but just the once.
The party was from 12 til 3...3.30 max. Be kind parents, come on....all these kids? Sugar? Pick them up after 3 hours.
It was mentioned that we could all safely put money on the fact that 'that one's' parents would be last to collect their loved one. At 4 I called and as cheerily as I could muster said " Hello, 'that one's' daddy? Were you coming to get him?"
" Oh, yes, I can.....yes, right"
One of the other parents came to collect their child and she is a dinner lady at school, such a look of, was it admiration? Astonishment? Then " Wow, 'that one's' here, did you mean for that to happen? "
I sort of longed to say but of course, we are marvellous and appreciate that all children are precious, but had to admit that actually , it was all so last minute that we threw invites at every child in sight and 'that one' caught one .
He wasn't horrible, he wasn't rude, he was just , well, there...and rough. He took hats and ran away and he kept escaping and going upstairs to bang doors. He is a snatcher and a teaser and the other kids are remarkably patient but would suddenly howl in frustration. I spent a lot of time finding 'that one'. He was in beds and managed to tip out 5 toy boxes in about 12 seconds. Every now and then 'that one' and I would sit in another room and chat while he calmed down and I learned that his mummy tells him he has beautful eyes but no-one else does. His toys are broken because he breaks them, he says he isn't going to be good at anything when he grows up because he just isn't.
He was lovely when everyone else went home. He sat in the dirt and dug. He made his beautiful new adidas shoes dusty and his hands and face filthy and we said well, what else is a chap to do?
Baths and washing machines make all that so unimportant I always say.
We had a hungry boy who just couldn't seem to get full, even after 4 chocolate bars, 2 ice creams, 2 packets of crisps, popcorn and several cans of pop..poor boy, poor parents I bet he pukes later.
We had some lovely girlie ones who were splendid and I found myself having to imagine them in 10 years time in order to stop myself wishing I had more girl children in my life.
We had the regulars who know us so well that they could almost be ours, we had ones that you just want to squish til they beg for mercy because they are just so completely perfect.
They have all gone home and Mr H cleaned up while our sons had a warm bubbly bath. It is very peaceful here at 5.17.
In a little while I am going to go to the yummy Indian takeaway and get a veritable feast of all things spicy, because H loves it and he deserves a treat for being the great one today.
I think the boys might well crash in a post sugar slump good and early tonight, X factor and laptops are the plan for the evening.
Hoorah for the memories we made today ..oh and we sorted out the two halloween parties on the same day worry, Heidi is having a Bonfire night do instead, so they can come to out halloween party and we can go to their Nov 5th bash . YEAY!! We started to mention the party and there was great excitement...we will become known as the party people, me and H, of all things!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie Q said...

Your package came today Helen! We tasted the smarties and will try more later! :) They are different than the smarties I had from Canada, I'm glad you sent them! :)

Thank you so much! The kids were very excited, yes, even the old ones.

The party sounds like so much fun! You and H were very brave to have them all over. :)

8:23 pm  
Blogger The other me said...

YEAY!!!! Hooray, that took forever! I hope that means Lacey will get hers too and Julie bo!! On monday I will start the next batch ...I love this!!
Oh and Julie, I somehoe have a special place for 'that one' kids...Sophie would walk into the playground and it was like detergent on oily water, those kids scattered in every direction!! i always think they have a special goal in life.

8:47 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home