Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Friday, October 27, 2006

Things that make me happy.

Sometimes, it is truly the little things that make life more enjoyable.....want to see my list? You'll see just how easily pleased I am, when you read my list you will sigh and tell yourself how lucky you are to be aquainted with someone so simple as myself.

It makes me very happy that H always puts his socks in the wash basket, not only does he do this but they are NEVER inside out, never bunched up and never black on the bottom, in fact sometimes I almost want to smell them to see if they have even been on his beautiful feet that never smell, that makes me happy too, his toe nails, however, don't make me happy because I am afraid of toenails.

It makes me happy when I walk through our town and am greeted with such joy and cheeriness by people I know and also people who appear to know me, I pretend I know these people so I don't hurt their feelings but truly? I wouldn't know who they are if they stood up in my soup. What could be better than walking from a delicious bakery with bread just baked and hearing your name called in a happy way? ( as opposed to yelled, like MUM!!!! or HELEN!! sounding like someone wants something other than to just look at me and smile and ask how I am faring.)

It makes me happy to smell beef stew at noon because I have been so organised and been to the butcher ( which makes me happy because to buy fresh meat from a butcher rather than pre packed in a supermarket? No comparison, friendly man in boater and offering to cut, chop, filet, mince whatever you buy then saying " there you go my lover, that'll make a lovely drop of stew that will"

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
or stand in front of meat counter and wonder just how long that meat has been there..... butcher every time.) and the grocers and apready have that stew simmering, pearl barley and all. Happy me.

It makes me happy to snuggle in bed with my Eli for a nap ( the fact that at 3 years 3 months he still has a 3 hour nap evey day? Happy is not the word, ecstasy that's called) because he sucks his thumb and twiddles my ear and if I open my eyes to glance at him, he grins......can't get more loved than that.

It makes me happy to look at my house from the outside, the curtains hang just right, the fact that it is such a nice house, the fact that WE LIVE HERE!

It makes me happy to look at my one and only girl child and actually know I love her, I like her, I want to squish her face. It has been a very very long time since any of that came naturally because she has been so good at being so horrid for so many years, too many years. To be her friend and see she actually loves ME and likes ME too.... priceless.

It makes me happy to have a 6 year old that takes an encyclopedia to bed with him, it makes me hoot when he calls Elijah various names from that encyclopedia and when asked what he just said he will reply " Its a microbe, Eli is such a microbe" to see that encyclopedia taped together because he has read the life out of it....unbelievable.

It makes me happy that H is such a gentleman. He is glorious.

It makes me happy to be able to look at my beyond-redemption-apart-from-plastic-surgery-belly and actually rather love it, clever old flabby thing has housed six of the best.

The crafty scrapbooking store around the corner makes me happy, I want to be a scrapper, one day I shall be, I shall have a room full of smashing stuff that will be untouched by little boy hands, even if I leave the door open, and I shall be the found making beautiful things to mail to people to make them happy....spread that happy around I say! for now I wander round that little shop and buy the odd bargain or three, ready to store in my room.

It makes me happy when after many, many, MANY weeks of having a blocked toilet, H dons a rubber glove and discovers that a little yellow car has been just around the bend, stopping anything going down, we have an unblocked toilet. HAPPY!!!!


Cake. Makes me happy.

Sometimes though, it takes more than the simple things to make me happy, yesterday I think the only thing that would have made me happy would have been one of these......

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

In midnight blue or red. There was no pleasing me yesterday.
Good grief, does that mean I am human after all? Well damn. Imagine that.

Oh and this, didn't make me happy as such but it did make me laugh, in a nervous kind of way.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




5 Comments:

Blogger Julie Q said...

I love the stuff that makes you happy Helen! Including the new car! We are right there with you needing a new one, minus the crunches and dents. She still looks OK, but that's about all. Someday?

12:42 pm  
Blogger LosingSanity said...

Ill take a new car too! Mine is dead for now. Til this weekend.

And I love being reminded of your journey with Sophie. It gives me so much hope! There truly is light at the end of this tunnel.

1:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a beautiful post. I love the sentiment!

Also, where ever did you find that card? I think I need to direct my husband to it immediately.

5:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny,I was just thinking today about how much my car makes me happy and how really sad and materialistic that is...but it isn't....it is a great car that fills me with confidence when I drive it...it makes dh and I giddy to own this car.

And why not eh?

11:48 pm  
Blogger JEFFY said...

I AMM SO READING THIS TO GOOGOO IN THE MORNING BECAUSE SHE HAS DECIDED SHE IS ENGLISH....SHE LOVES THE MOVIE "THE SECRET GARDEN" AND I CAN ALOST RECITE THE WHOLE SCRIPT. SO SHE IS "MARY LENNOX" THIS WEEK, AND IS TALKING JUST LIKE YOU MUM! SO IM SO READING THIS TO HER WHEN SHE GETS UP! HAHAHA! GREAT POST!
LOVE, YOUR BOY

2:53 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home