Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Just thinking.....

I am at home, during church time...I was up at the crack of dawn ( after going to bed just before 2am.....aiting up for a teenager that isn't even mine who texted me at 2am to say she wouldn't be home after all!!!!) I had everything ready, dinner on a slow cook, boys organised, showered, hair done.....went to open my bedroom curtains and COULDN'T MOVE! The right hand side of my back just started to cramp up and within 30 seconds I was a hunched over, pulled sideways like an old lady unable to move an inch. I am dosed up with a hot lavendar heat pad on my back...H had to go to church to teach a lesson and I told him to leave the boys here ( in some twisted kind of fear of being left alone?!) they are wearing white shirts with pens in the pockets and are being my doctors and helpers with the exception of Elijah who is taking every opportunity to tip bottles of juice out and make a mess because , hey this is hysterical, she can't even yell really because she starts and something makes her face screw up and all she can do is whimper " ah, oooh, little git" Just now he did something revolting and said ( in a pained kind of voice)
" oh..oh, I tan't do diss." ( which is what I whimpered when I was trying to mop up the blackcurant and apple juice he had just poured over the table and floor)
I kept him home because he has the booger of all snot noses and the medicine I gave him will knock him out as it dries up the streaming nose. Give it 30 minutes and he will be napping wherever he falls because there is no way I can get him upstairs! ( marvellous, he is already cosied on the sofa, thumb in mouth and blanket in hand, that stuff is just great, tylenol and an anti-hystermine , snot gone and sleeping child. )
H will be home as soon as his class is done .
My family have such compassion, as I hobbled to the bathroom, Sophie was all but snorting as she told me how I looked like an old girl, I had to stop myself from sniggering too ( ouch, hurts) because it IS a bizarre walk, twisted to the left, hunched over and right leg swinging outwards.......almost a new dance move if it weren't so slow!!
Anyway being still gets you thinking and I was thinking about Christmas and how we ladies, married ones with children at least, seem to get the short end of the stick when to comes to actualy presents, wrapped under the tree, bought and thought of and kept as a suprise just for us.
In the past I have received from my 2 husbands ( both as hopeless as each other in the gift giving department) A toothbrush. Anti wrinkle cream. A knife, fork and spoon set . A kneeling pad for gardening. A spoon rest and saucepans. My mind has shut out the rest because if I remembered I would probably have to use the frying pan I got one year as a weapon and cause mass destruction.
( ooh heating pad is in exactly the right place causing heavenly wave of comfy muscle calming...love that heating pad)
So, 2 things,
1.what have your most jaw dropping gifts been? And
2. if the christmas elves and Santa were to get together and just for one year, tell the kids and husbands that this year it's all about the mummies...what would you put on your list??
Here's mine.
1. Sewing machine. I love to sew and make things, as my thoughts and enrgoes are more and more turned to my home I long to sit and make beautiful things again, I want to learn to quilt and make window dressings, bedding, cushions. Lovely homey stuff that will make us all happy to be here and cause gasps of wonder when I show off and tell people that I made that, oh yes I did.

2. A really good camera, a top of the range jobby that will take pictures to treasure for always. I used to take great pictures and would love to really learn how to do it well .

3. A long weekend in London with H--- and for the fairies to make him love everything I choose to do while we are there because, well the idea of fast treks through every museum? Not really my cuppa tea.
If that's really too much to ask, a long weekend in London with the girls, who would find the air tickets in their stockings and child care all arranged too. ( I would give names but I know I would forget someone and that would be horrible and unintentional but I'm sure you know who you all are!) This is more likely to happen than H enjoying shopping in Harrods and a show in the west end !!
Ow, pain meds are wearing off, am beginning to twist sideways again, had better go and lie down with legs bent and watch helplessly while Isaac and Eli use my lovely plant as a jungle for the toy leopards and lions, buggers.
I am sure that my Christmas list is considerably longer...will be back later to add to it, look forward to seeing your lists!

4 Comments:

Blogger LosingSanity said...

Hmmm...I can't think of any "bad" Christmas gifts off hand.

But on my list would be:

Gift card for Lane Bryant and/or Fashion Bug

A weekend getaway, just me and Jeremy..in a hotel with a hot tub in our room and a nice view.

a new bedroom set...bed, dressers, bedding, the works..and don't forget the accents, wall decor, etc.

That's it for now! Of course, those are some hefty orders, but it was an IF question...lol.

3:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, fun! Ok, here goes.

1. I think my MOST jaw-dropping gift was the year that my family actually had money for a change. I got a 13-inch TV and used the crap out of that thing. But let's see...

Unfortunately, I've found that the only way I can avoid being horribly disappointed is to tell DH exactly what I want from him. Sometimes he doesn't even do that much, though! But last year he surprised me with a beautiful red velvet-lined jewelry box. I love it. Now I just need jewelry to fill it!

2. a) I'm with you, Helen, a long weekend alone with DH sounds great. No, make it a couple weeks in Europe. He went to Holland on his mission and I'd love him to show me around. I've only been to Milan and would love to see Rome, Venice, Vienna, London (where, of course, we'd meet up with you!), Paris, etc. etc. etc. I want to stay in fancy hotels and eat fabulous food and see everything at my *own* pace!

b. can I just copy Julie's list of her favorite treats? All that stuff sounds really good. Hmmm, I'm hungry. Ooh, except I want to add Mindy Mint Chocolates from Mrs. Cavanaugh's candy.

c. a breast pump. I really want to join a choir here, but I can't until Will will take a bottle, and my old pump broke.

This has seriously taken me a half hour and I haven't even come up with that much! Why is it so hard for moms to think of themselves once in a while? Sheesh!

Helen, I hope you feel better. Do you know what's wrong? Prayers coming your way.

Rachel

3:41 am  
Blogger Julie Q said...

You sound miserable Helen! :( I have pulled a muscle in my shoulder before and that sounds similiar. It takes a good week to 10 days to feel better. And pain killers just didn't help.

For jaw dropping gifts, there haven't been a lot. Last year my younger three gave me Cinderella on DVD. That shocked me. I do love the movie and I thought my Mom got it for me. But I knew from the shape and size of her boxes that it wasn't there. So, I was totally shocked that my kids got it for me. The only other one that totally shocked me, was my Mom bought me a sewing machine one year. I was totally shocked at that. As you can see, my sweet hubby hasn't shocked me. Not on Christmas anyway. There have been a few times that a dozen roses have found their way here and totally shocked me, but not at Christmas time. :)

What I'd like is hard. I don't really ask for a lot.

1. A nice digital camera.
2. An entire weekend with Ken, no kids. And have someone older with them to watch over them. Yes, they are old, but I would worry. ;)
3. Some more jewerly. I have hardly any (one necklace) and it would be nice to have something to put on when we go out.
4. I would love to own the Stephanie Plum series all to myself! :)
5. Either a Bath & Body gift card or some of their yummy smelling bath stuff. I'm not too picky on the scents. :)

Some favorite candies would be nice. But then again, my butt is big enough. :)

Feel better Helen!

2:23 pm  
Blogger Jenn said...

Please don't be mad - but I have the best husband at gift giving - It is his talent, and his joy to get me that one gift at Christmas that makes me jump for joy! The first year we were married he bought me a beautiful watch (that I still wear). It was frightfully expensive and we couldn't afford it then, and even less so now with 3 kids, so in hindsight, he got it at the best time, because I would have been angry for him to have spent so much on me now.

My dream list is rather short - but not small.
1. A new camera - A Nikon D80 actually.
2. that's it. Ok, a trip to England with my girlfriends so we could go to Harrods with you and see the shows and I could eat REAL bangers and mash....

12:11 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home