Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

In gratitude, we smack.

We had a moment today, one of those moments that feel as though they are lasting for a very long time, but, in fact it is all over in seconds.
I park outside my mum's house when I collect the boys ( the house which is for sale, when she sells it life will be easier for her and she will have more money and live in a littler house that is easier for her to run and look after, one that won't be RIGHT BY THE SCHOOL....selfish of course but what can you do?)
So, I parked and walked to the school, collected boys who for some unknown reason, rather than being weary and foot dragging after 7 hours of school, are bouncy and loud and they RUN, every day I say the same thing " DO NOT CROSS THE ROAD ! WAIT TIL I GET TO YOU AND WE CROSS TOGETHER!!" every day. They almost always wait, Isaac always waits, Seth is hard to convince on the being a child thing, his mind is 34 he can't understand that being grown up and smart means NOT CROSSING THE DAMN ROAD.
Today I caught up and Seth was waiting for me, no sign of Isaac. We waited and called and looked and called and looked and called and waited.
The road is very narrow, just room for 1 car to pass at a time, cars parked both sides, mine is on the oposite side right outside mum's house.
Lots of cars coming down the road having picked up kids. I couldn't quite believe Isaac had crossed the road, but couldn't come up with any other explaination for not seeing him, he must have crossed and be hiding behind my car.
Seth and I crossed..no Isaac.
That's when the slow motion moment began.
I saw him..across the road having been hiding behind Angela's car, that was parked in her drive. Angela the neighbour and extra grandma that lives opposite the real gramma. He laughed, how clever to have fooled us so completely and then he RAN. Right out in front of a car that was going very fast for such a small street, it was going fast...in slow motion.
I had time to see the horrified look on the driver's face and the passengers face, I saw the passenger patting her heart and screaming. I saw Isaac running, still laughing, I heard myself SCREAMING as loud as my lungs and vocal chords could manage " NO! NOOOOOOOOOO! NO!" And still he ran and still he laughed and there was NOTHING. I. COULD. DO.
The car stopped, just in time, right by my Isaac's 5 year old body, without hitting him. The car didn't hit him.
So I did.
What kind of whacked out reaction IS that? Oh thankyou Lord my child is safe.... WHALLOP! More screaming of a relieved and vomit worthy nature. "WHATHAVEITOLDYOUABOUTRUNNINGINTHEROADWHAT
WEREYOUTHINKINGYOUNAUGHTYBOYIWASSCAREDAREYOU
SCAREDWEREYOUSCAREDSETHITHINKIMIGHTPUKE!"
Why do we react by smacking the legs of a child who has just been spared the jaws of death? It doesn't help anyone does it.. but darned if I've ever seen a mother react in any other way.
A lesson was learned and I so hope it sunk in because I am just too fragile to deal with many moments like that.
Thankyou Lord for keeping my Isaac safe today so I was able to beat him a bit and then kiss his face off in a most embarrassing way when his friends were about to come past in the walking bus. That'll show him, he won't risk that again in a hurry.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless your heart, here I sat just cringing and then......after knowing Isaac was OK, reading on ...I sat here laughing myself silly! Oh, but what a normal reaction us mothers do have! I am thankful Isaac is ok, truly I am, but I do not read books and this was almost like I was really deep in a book and then you popped that youngun!
You are too funny friend! Bless You!!

Claudia

6:54 pm  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

I would have "popped" him too. What a scary moment that must have been. I could feel my heart racing right along with yours. Thank God he is O.K.

9:15 pm  
Blogger MamaTink said...

Jenna did the same thing when she was 2 1/2. I was pregnant with Aidan, leaving a store, and she zoomed right past me. I smacked her bottom too when I got her back safe. I still feel awful about the whole thing.

Thank goodness that Isaac is safe!!!

HUGS to you!!

~Lisa~

10:42 pm  
Blogger Julie Q said...

Oh my Helen! I'm so glad he is alright!

It truly was one of those slow motion, you can't stop what is happening moments!

2:24 am  
Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Gosh I think I near about puked just reading about it! Don't do that again Isaac! We all have more than enough grey hairs as it is thank you very much!

4:10 am  
Blogger Lindsey said...

How scary! I think you reacted the way many parents do...angry at the child for putting themself in so much danger. Glad he's okay!

3:38 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home