Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

what do you think?

So, next month, Sophie the girl child, will be 18. EIGHTEEN!! A woman. Hell.
She is one of those people that start talking about her birthday the day after christmas. She has always driven us a bit crazy with her birthday talking. This year though, the big one, the EIGHTEENTH one, she hasn't said a word. Fearing that she has actually gone and grown up completely and become a whole other ( boring) person, I asked her what she wanted to do on her birthday.
"Nothing"
"what do you mean nothing?"
" I don't like thinking about it anymore, i don't think I even like my birthday anymore"

WHAT??????
Guess what. Last year, on her birthday, my dad, papa died.
I didn't think that she had thought about it being on her birthday, we were all so horribly sad that we couldn't care what day it was, he was gone. Ugh.

What to do, what to DO???? Dan always hates his birthday, it doesn't matter if his birthday comes and goes, but SOPHIE?? The please can we make this day stretch 3 weeks and then start talking about the next one? Not her, she MUST lok forward to her birthday. She MUST have a day that brings back that Sophie who drives us insane.
Can you help me?
Can you, do you think...send her cards from all over the world? I have visions of waking her up and showering with proof that she is actually a bit of a star, I shan't tell her just HOW much you all know about her, just that you do and that she is a bit gorgeous and LOOK! CARDS!!!
Nobody wants her to feel that she has to forever be sad on her birthday, last year we couldn't help it, but this year and every year it has to go back to being the day Sophie was born, not the day papa died.
I will keep it all very quiet and let her think that we are grabbing the chance not to plan every detail of her day for months in advance and then live through her disappointment when it all falls apart.
I want to come up with an idea for celebating with her and can't decide between a her and me day, an invite all her loud friends and do something crazy day, I am sure I don't want to do the party thing, unless we make it a kiddie one where they can all eat jelly and cake, play games and win cool prizes ( which actually she would think is pretty cool)....her sort of party would be drunken and end in tears, she doesn't need that at all. So, ideas on that too please.
It is lovely to have something cheery to plan amidst all the sickness here, grey faces and weary bodies ...... take me away and help me plan the girls day, please!!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helen

Seriously, go with the card idea

I'll send one

3:39 pm  
Blogger rachel said...

Ooooh, we're totally in! Would she like separate cards from the kids? They LOVE to make cards. Anything else we can send? We love to make packages.

Oh, and PS... false alarm on my sister. She was just busy this week. She's not mad.

4:13 pm  
Blogger The other me said...

Rachel, so glad that was a misunderstanding! Cards from the kids would be great, the more the merrier, I so want this year to be one she remembers forever! Thankyou.

4:22 pm  
Blogger LosingSanity said...

I'm in too! My gma passed away the day before my sister's bday and my gpa passed away on his own bday, which is also shared by my uncle and cousin...and his funeral was on my aunt's bday. So, we know how it is when the joy of a birthday is replaced by the sadness of losing a loved one!

What day is Sophie's bday? And when would we need to send things so they reach her in time? And is there anything she might like?

As far as a special bday plan, maybe you could spend the day with her and then some friends could come over and have a small get together.

You can email me the info for sending her a package and when it needs to be sent so she will reach it in time.

4:25 pm  
Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Ohhh I'll send cards for sure :) Fun Fun Fun :)

5:03 pm  
Blogger Julie Q said...

Me too Helen! Would love to send Sophie a card! :)

Do you want them early to give to her all at once? Should we address them to you somehow so you know they are for her? Or just send them to her and she can get them as they come?

Am I full of questions or what! ;)

I will go shopping tomorrow.

Amanda's great Grandpa's funeral was on her birthday 5 years ago. They will always remember what happened. I think even more than others. For a day that is usually theirs, was not. And that life is sometimes very serious, not always a party.

So, I want to help make it fun!

I'm not sure what she'd like to spend the day doing. If she'd enjoy a day with her Mum, I say go for it! Your girl is turning 18! OK, now I have tears.

12:06 am  
Blogger Claire said...

I'm in on the card idea, just let me know the details. I'm (sort of) close to Sophie's age and would love something like that. Also what girl does not love a little shopping spree on her big day?

4:47 am  
Blogger MamaTink said...

Oh!! I will send a card Helen!! can you email me your address??

mama2_jam (at) yahoo dot com

Thanks!! I hope this helps to brighten her day!! How terrible to not want a birthday anymore :( My heart goes out to her.

~Lisa~

12:05 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home