Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Open wide!

The dentist. We did that again today, was it 6 months since the last appointment? yes, it is. Time flies doesn't it?
We played dentist, we donned gloves and laid down with open mouths and oohed and ahhed over how unpainful it is, Wow! how unscarey is this Isaac? What fun! We can hardly wait to get there and do the real thing! Pah!
Remember how last time, when you were so little you screamed and fought and screamed? Hard to believe that you did that when NOW you are such a big boy and brave and know that dentists are nice and friendly.
Isaac and mummy came in together , watch mummy Isaac, see? Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Isaac's turn. Brave boy, sat in the chair ( progress indeed) he sat upright ( yippee) and then he turned away from the dentist and he shut his mouth, he shut his mouth very tight and then he clamped his lips in his fingers. Ah. Not so good.
How strong this little boy is when he feels overwhelmed by gloved strangers who want to look at him and touch him and are talking to him.
Not a sound.
Just clamped and rigid and terrified.
I think he actually goes deaf, the terror shuts off his ears and his mind and all he can do is silently plead that I not make him do this. There is little as heart rending as that whispered 'mum.'
When I know that this must be done and I can't whisk him away to safety, when I can't help him see that this isn't terrifying.
I so want the chance to get into his mind and feel what he feels, understand what it's like to feel so out of place in the world. Part of me envies him, does that seem bizarre? I love the idea of being able to shut out what we don't like. By choice, that would be terrific, how frustrating though to want to do something and have your head shut off without you asking it to.
He is quite the most delicious little boy, kind and loving and nowhere near as cross as he ought to be, given the limitations his head places on him.
When the fear is gone, threat is over, he clicks back into Isaac mode. Sweet and happy and usually unaware that he has been anything but cooperative. He will tell you how he went to the dentist and got a sticker. Fear forgotten.

I'm feeling a deep desire to switch off myself at the moment. Too hard, all this thinking. Too wearying, all this grown up stuff that I have been handed. Sometimes, the mother has to step back and let happen what needs to happen and that, for me, is nigh on impossible. I like to fix things and sort things and make it all good.
This time, I can't. I am helpless and have to just watch and wait and hold my breath. There is fear and rage and love and sadness and hope and more fear.
I am so angry and sad that this is how life is, did I make it this way? What did I do, or not do?
The specifics don't matter really. The details and the whys and wherefores, I hope to forget. Don't say them outloud or write them down and maybe tomorrow I can wake up and it will be done, finished, over. I know that a sticking plaster and a comic won't fix things. This is the big stuff, the life altering, lesson learning, character building, important stuff that has to be done, like it or not. I like it not.
How did my mum do it right? Have 5 children who never even once hated her or disrepected her?
How come I never inherited that gene instead of the painful ankles, gall bladder stones and hopeless sense of direction? I got my dad's gappy teeth and ridiculously curly hair..what happened to his mathematical genius?
Swearing is just such a great thing when you feel like this but I've rather lost the ability lately, bugger it all ( hooray, short relapse)
I'm sure that if I could just wander about doing nothing but yell 'Naughty F. Word off ' at everyone that irritates me, life would have new meaning. I just can't do it the way I used to, I manage the odd 'Arse' and after that, well, hopeless on the swearing front.
Pathetic I tell you, are there no joys left to me?
I am going now, to straighten my ridiculously curly hair, so I can sleep on it, and then go out in the rain. Life's just dandy isn't it?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

LOL...I so feel you on the last paragraph. Why do we torture ourselves with doing things that are so futile?

BTW~I haven't checked in lately, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the header picture. It's AWESOME!

3:02 am  
Blogger Jenn said...

We haven't yet taken Matthew to the dentist - at least not since he was 18 months and chipped his front tooth. I'm afraid Matthew will bite them! I know it needs to be done soon - I am delaying the inevitable.
We took Duncan too a certified pediatric Dentist that was very gentle, and lovely, and had a treasure chest to pick cheap toys out of afterwards, and television screens that played Toy Story so as to make the experience more pleasant. We also found that they charge significantly more for all such amenities, and really, next time we shall go to our regular dentist, and bring a Buzz Lightyear with us to help him be brave and promises of trips to McD' playlands afterwards. That oughta work. I'm still not looking forward to it.
I'm also hopeless on the swearing front - 35+ years of guilt ingrained upon me when such a word is tempted to escape my lips...which doesn't stop me from thinking it regularly, especially when behind the wheel of an automobile.
Yes I'm up at 4am unable to sleep....Life IS dandy isn't it? (((hugs)))

9:23 am  
Blogger -Lo said...

Hellsbells-
Luuuurve the header gal!
Was going thru emails and saw your sweet letter after my daddies passing!
I don't think I replied...so...

Thank you!!!

It really did mean so much!!


Have a kickass day :B

-Lo

3:52 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home