Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

That's what I call a reward!

Well, I do a bit of laundry for them and they tell me I am going to be a Nana, that's what I call a thankyou!
Jordan and Mel are having a baby. They are so young, 20 and 18 but so lovely together. They work hard to build a beautiful home and it is amazing to see how much Jordan has grown up this past year.
I can think of all the worries and pit falls but actually, this is wonderful news. Both my boys are incredible with little people, I love watching them with my little boys. There just isn't anything more glorious than family. I get to have all the excitement of a new baby, without any of the puking, aching, nerves or pushing ( ow, that hurts!!) I get to buy cute things and kiss and love a beautiful baby and then I get to hand it back and nod my head when they tell me how hard being a parent is.
It will be very hard not to interfere, I might not be able to keep my nose out at all.
I went into town today, in an effort to like my home more, I embraced the belief that when you are having trouble liking someone, you serve them, as you serve them it is almost always the case that you begin to love them. Sound bizarre but honestly it's true. So, I thought if I were to work on my home in a good way ( not the endless OCD scrubbing) I might love it more. I bought some beautiful material, chocolate brown and a golden sort of thread in there, I made a duvet cover and curtains but somehow, in my heavy handed way managed to snap the 3 machine needles mum had. I ran into town ( in my car, hate to give false impressions of fitness or even modest desire for activity) parked up and headed towards the sewing machine shop, when there, right in front of me, was my lanky big boy. I adore him, he is just such a joy to me. Of all my children he has probably been the least 'trouble', from tiny he was happy to entertain himself. There were times when I would put him to bed and wonder if I had actually spoken to him, he would plod along behind us and just be happy as long as he could see me.
So damaged by the monster who stole him away for a while, he was never naughty, worryingly good until he was 5. Even then, not naughty but never still. He was endlessly on his head, climbing, running, jumping, skipping.
He cried piteously if he couldn't see me when he was little. There was no calming him he would cry for hours and hours if I had to leave him, until he could see me again. It never bothered me, I just took him with me, if I went to the bathroom, he came with me, if I went into the garden to hang washing, he came too. Quiet and gentle he was my shadow. He really came to life when he saw his daddy. My heart broke often over this little boy, he was a daddy's boy from the day he was born and when the first one left,he took my boys heart with him. I was left with a sweet little boy who was polite and delightful, but always a bit sad. When daddy came to visit he lit up, he became whole again, I would see how this little boy should be and was powerless to help, the rage I felt towards his dad for causing such sadness and for not being around after Jordan was so broken by the monster is still there today.
I can't remember when Jordan became so funny, one day he stopped crying and began to laugh and he has hardly stopped since. He is hysterical, truly a born entertainer and such a quick wit. Wherever he is there is laughter, real belly laughing and the kind that makes your ribs ache. When he and Dan are together it's a good idea to have some depends to hand.
He is such a hard worker, since he left school, just before his 16th birthday he has worked, he started as a kitchen porter in a hotel and attended college to train as a chef. Now he is a chef in a great hotel, he works long hours and now he has a beautiful home with Mel.
He is so proud of what they have achieved and loves to show me the latest improvement to their home. I have no doubt at all that he will be a great father.
I think I shall learn to knit, make cardigans and hats, that may never get used because youngsters these days...well it's all denim and designer names, tsk tsk.
I want to make lovely things and bedding and stuff but will have to remember this is their baby and not mine. Hmmmmm, tough one that.
Always a new challenge!
Happy news indeed.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to Jordan and Mel. A beautiful baby indeed it will be. And a wonderful nanny he or she will have.

11:04 pm  
Blogger Ranni said...

Congratulations! Such a beautiful and heartfelt post. Very happy for all of you!

12:55 am  
Blogger LosingSanity said...

Congratulations, Nana and Congratulations Jordan and Mel! How funny you were just talking bout when you become a nana...and look! How exciting!

12:56 am  
Blogger Little Nothings said...

Congratulations Nana! My goodness such great news, and to think, such a wonderful thank you for just a bag of laundry! My daughter has a "Nana" and I know the joy it brings to my mom to hear that sweet word come from my baby's mouth. Keep us posted, as I'm sure you will!

1:13 am  
Blogger Julie Q said...

You must have had a feeling right Helen? :) Congratulations! You will make a wonderful Nana. :)

So exciting!

1:14 am  
Blogger Claire said...

Wow, Helen! Many congrats to you and your boy!

2:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! Looks like your fortune teller was right!!
And you were just talking about how you would be called Nana.

1:57 pm  
Blogger odat_kim said...

Hmmm, didn't you blog earlier this year or late last year about your psychic friend saying a baby would come into your life in the next year?
Kim

11:55 am  
Blogger MamaTink said...

Congratulations Helen!!! How exciting! BIG HAPPY HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Lisa~

9:25 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home