Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Florence Nightingale...I'm not.

I can do the 24 hour things..bugs, viruses whatever you throw at me, I can handle the 24 hour kind. With 6 people apart from me in a house that still means that for 6 days or so I will be like a blue arsed fly buzzing around being compassionate, almost does me in, but I somehow manage it.
The week long crapola, I'm dying- feel my head-splutter- cough- slouch stuff I just can't do. On average you can guarantee that 2-3 will get a lurgy type deal at a time and then they all overlap. My head gets to the point where it feels that if it has to deal with just one more whine it will simply shoot off my shoulders and whizz around the room making a high pitched whistling noise til it falls deflated and spent in a corner somewhere, where, I suspect, someone will kick it to see if it can still hear while it's being asked to look at some tonsils. I DON'T WANT TO LOOK AT YOUR TONSILS! I hear you have a sore throat, I believe you, I will fetch tablets and tell you again how simply magical salt water is when gargled but DON'T MAKE ME LOOK AT IT!
I am marginally more patient with the honest to goodness moaning woe is me patient than the martyr type, Lord help me H is a Martyr ( capitol M there please notice) little coughs and loud sighs, stretched silences and croaky " no I'm fine"s Very good, thank heavens for that... perhaps you can help with the other 5 people who are apparantly dying then. Oh righto, not that fine after all it seems.
I will never understand sick children...if I am ill and my head hurts and my throat hurts and I ache I would like to go to bed please, ( actually I would like to go to bed even if none of it hurts please) let me sleep, all quietly and snuggled and just let me have a nice drink every now and then, otherwise leave me alone thankyou very much indeed. Why do children NOT know that is a good thing? Why do they do that snot faced howling til they puke? Why do they feel so sure that following me to the toilet whilst screaming will make them feel better? Is standing next to me while I pee some kind of unrecorded cure all for the under 5's? Could I sell the space next to my right leg in our teeny tiny toilet and make a fortune, or do you think it is obligatory to actually have come from my womb in order for the healing properties to work?
I am a trained nurse you know, letters after my name and everything..not too suprising that I never did another day after my training finished is it? I can truly say that although I like to think I am a loving sort, Florence Nightingale I most definately am not.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Oh I'm sooo with you there.. even 24 hours is too much for me! I do NOT do sick well!

Hugs

Julie

4:52 am  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oh Helen, you had me howling with your descriptions. How accurate they are! I hope your household is feeling better soon, and that the magical cure of just going to bed will be the option they choose - if only to stop your ears bleeding with the incessant demands.
Sorry about the Martyr - I find that even more annoying than the 3 yr old glued to my leg in permanent "whine" mode. And yes it's obligatory that they come from your womb - Sorry, you can't rent that space out by the loo - I wish you could.
((hugs))

2:20 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home