Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Remember, Remember the FIFTH of NOVEMBER

Not the 29th of October or even the 27th, not the 6th of November and not even the 4th. Firework night, bonfire night, Guy Fawkes night is NOVEMBER the 5TH. So why am I jumping out of my skin and hearing BANG WHIZZ FIZZ and POP now? WHY?
Every year this drives me to insanity.
I used to love guy Fawkes night ( and if you don't know what that is I'm afraid you'll have to read this , I'm too bored to fill you in!) the annual standing in the freezing cold, dark with torrential rain to watch a mediocre display of FIREWORKS ( yes I know, I am showing that I have way too much time on my hands tonight) and ooh and ahhhh at them all, baked potatoes and hot dogs and hot chocolate by the scalding plastic cup full. Loved it. Somewhat marred now by having been to the 4th July parades and fireworks in L.A. Wilsons park on July 4th......makes the grandest of firework displays here seem shameful and snigger worthy. Of course you have to give the Americans the fact that they are doing there stuff in the summer but even taking that into consideration we have to hold our hands up and admit that we are super crappy at celebrating over here. Not on a personal level, as individuals and families, even smallish groups we can shimmy with the best of the brash and show offy, but as a nation. Hopeless. Unless royalty is involved and then we can put pomp and splendour into the mix and win the prize every time.
We live in a pretty cool spot for firework night, we're right at the top of the town ( you know, "up that hill") and so, last year we took the boys in the front garden, gave them a couple of sparklers and pretended the whole shebang was for them.....when we got bore we went inside and they stood at the window for hours....we get to see the whole towns display, ever one from 5pm until " will you shut the hell up and go to bed"pm Which helps dear H feel almost as if he is at home where they do things so well and so 'much'.
SO......if the fireworks are so few and far between ( unless you watch everyones' from your front garden) on the actual night, which I say again is NOVEMBER the 5th EVERY YEAR, since 1605. WHY do people insist on letting the damn things off night after night BEFORE and AFTER the day? WHY? It brings out the very very worst in me, I even find myself worrying about the poor cats and dogs in the country who we are warned must be locked away and kept safe ...how do you do that if you have no idea when idiots are going to be banging and exploding all over the place?
I'm not even an animal lover, that's how much this whole yearly outrage bugs me.
It's 9pm...early for me to be sitting here writing, but the banging and fizzing has been going on for an hour already and I'm not oohing or aahhing.......I'm grrring and huffing.
At least the boys are asleep, and the results of the X FACTOR are on in a minute. All is not lost after all.

It's past 11 ( 32 minutes past to be exact) and the bloody things are still being lit, not constantly though, big enough gaps in between for you to forget they are going off, so you relax, forget and then BANG ( hells teeth, how well timed, one went off at exactly the moment I wrote that!!) hit the ceiling and have to come up with a new swear word so you don't bore yourself. I am running out of swear words, I'll have to ask Seth for some new ones for tomorrow night, Jordan is keeping him up to date with all the best and most shocking ones. Marvellous.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Hey, it's written on my Calendar. November 5th.
I do hate it when people jump the gun with the fireworks - We usually get people doing that too for the 1st of July Holiday here. It's annoying.

11:54 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home