Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

You'll catch more flies......

Do you like the saying "you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar"? Of course it's true but who would want to catch flies? I know that what the phrase is trying to make us see is that by being pleasant we will be able to make things go our way so much easier. I wonder why, to some people it just isn't possible to grasp that principle?
Some people have it, some don't. The gift of the gab....kiss the blarney stone and talk your way into or out of anything. I would think that if it were possible to choose a gift, this is one all of us should go for!
Imagine a handsome man starting a relationship with the woman of his dreams, stunning and in every physical way, all he could dream of and hope for...... he arrives to pick her up and sees that she has made every effort to be as beautiful and breathtaking, she's perfect and he is bowled over. He looks at her and heart in mouth says,
" Blimey, your face'd stop a clock!"
Hardly has the same ring to it as " your countenance could make time stand still" does it?

From when my babies are tiny, tiny, I use words with them, I talk to them pretty much the way I write here, things aren't 'nice' they are glorious. When I praise them I tell them they are truly splendid. I am beside myself with glee if my children say something is perfectly ghastly ( please don't let them say 'crap'!!) I try, ( though don't always succeed) to be positive about things, when the rain starts we hooray and say how lucky we are that we have the rain because that's how we live in such green countryside.
I do this for several reasons....it's incredibly cute to hear a squirt talk like an oxford university graduate, lets face it. I am also convinced that if they learn the art of speaking well, they will get far. Education isn't only about exam results and degrees, it's about being able to fit in wherever you are.
I know my big boys learned it and maybe they have a gene of being sociable and accepting. They can both be anywhere and among any kind of people and fit in, be accepted.
Darn it if the girl can't get it.
Jordan and Sophie are teenagers, we all know that the curse of teenagedom is idleness and both these two have the strongest dose of it.
Here's an example of how the gift will get you far...
Jordan.. ( at 5pm, having been in his room and done nothing but 'tidy' the room)
"What's for dinner?"
" Curry"
"when will it be ready?"
"About an hour"
"Who's cooking it?"
"me"
"how much are you making?"
" oh my darling, are you completely starving after your long day in your room?"
""I was cleaning it"
( me, pointing at mass of festering laundry in laundry room)
"when you say cleaning your room, do you actually mean walking with THAT all the way to here and dumping it? Jords, when you did that while you were working I sort of hated it but did it because you were working and you were paying me keep to live here.....now you aren't working and you aren't paying me and somehow I more than sort of hate it"
Jordan, with big sigh... " Oh mummy, why must everything be about money, can't some things be just about love?" Big kiss, patronising pat on head......laundry done for him.
The lolloping great streak of water ( of the passed through the kidneys type, hate to write piss on my blog, it's so uncouth) gets away with murder because he is just so quick and he's funny.

If I ask Sophie about her laundry she opens her mouth and runs with it until one or all of us tell her to shut up..... she is mistress of the 'how unfairs' and is like a terrier with a rat, she never lets it go until everyone is sure she has the last word. If we had a dog it would learn to crawl away on it's belly with it's paws shoved in it's ears.

I think that Isaac and Eli have the gift, they kind of get it already and show great promise...Seth, I am terrified to admit, is showing signs of being a terrier pup. He simply has to fight for his rights and is unstoppable in his quest for justice.
Seth and Sophie argue, you never want to witness it. I am incapable of making the point stick that He is 5 and she is 16, it is ridiculous to all but Seth and Sophie. Help me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I'd love to help you, if I didn't find myself trying to reason with my 4 yr old. He has to be the most blatently defiant and argumentative child on the planet - except for his 3 yr old brother. They have yet to learn the lesson that good behaviour keeps mummy happy and naughty behaviour makes EVERYONE miserable. Darn it if they aren't coasting on their good looks right now......
Jordan is a clever bean to have gotten his laundry done by mum. Sophie must just like to argue. I'm convinced my boys *like* argueing, and debating me - since they do it constantly....
I defer to you when it comes to raising my boys - you did such a good job with your first lot.

6:41 am  
Blogger MamaTink said...

That Honey/Vinegar saying is completely false Helen. You can actually catch more Honey with Earl Grey Tea, that has Honey and Lemon in it. LOL Trust me, I've proven it!

2:15 pm  
Blogger -Lo said...

((HUGS))

3:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Sophie should be put up for an ASBO. Seems less likely candidates are receiving them.

6:22 pm  
Blogger The other me said...

Hmmmm I'm pretty sure you can't get ASBOs ( anti social behavioural order) for kids who are completely revolting at home...she's delightful everywhere else, for which I am eternally grateful! She is most definately Anti social at home though.

7:20 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home