Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Monday, May 29, 2006

Oh, and another thing.....


I miss my dad. Really miss him. I feel like a mad woman who is endlessly taking to herself.
"Please don't let it be true"
"well it is, get on with it"
" But how come all these other even older men are still here...and who said they could wear those jumpers? My dad wore those jumpers, no-one else should be allowed to wear them, somebody stop old men wearing my dad's jumpers"
I hate knowing and actually believing that he is gone, MY dad.
I relive that whole time in the hospital, we were so calm...why were we calm? If we had known then how we would feel now, would we have been any different? I think not. I think he dictated how we were. His spirit was so huge that we were calmed by it. When I think back and remember, I don't feel a bit calm, or peaceful. The nurses at the time kept asking me if we all understood how serious the whole situation was, of course we knew, of course we understood, i'm not sure we believed it is all... they just couldn't believe that we weren't in melt down , we still laughed and joked, we were still absolutely 'us'...I'm so glad about that. I wish ( for me) that we could have tried more to get him well, but I am glad for him that he went quickly.
I'm not sure I looked at him enough,even though I actually sat and made myself stare at him near the end, drank him in, what if I forget his face? What if we forget the things he said, that no-one else says? He called me Lily. I hated it when I was younger but the older I got the more I loved it. I don't want anyone else to call me that but I miss hearing him say it. I miss "cheery-bye"
Funny how the things that drove us crazy when he was alive, are the very things we miss most. I wish he was here to nag me about my car, I wish he was here to fuss about mum and ask me to order ridiculous things from ebay for her. I wish he was here to get christmas and birthdays wrong. When asked to buy fruit for christmas he literally bought 3 of everything, 3 satsumas, 3 apples.....HA! He was the worst back seat driver ever known, he'd insist on going a 'shortcut' every time and we'd invariably end up going twice as far. Once, when I was stopped at traffic lights, he was tapping my leg and saying "RIGHT!! you have to turn RIGHT!" So, I pulled into the right hand lane..only for him to say " what are you DOING??" Because it wasn't a one way street and so I had just pulled into the WRONG side of the road! He made me panic every time he came in my car.
I wish he was here to be H's friend, I loved it that they got on so well, H would go with dad on his 'jaunts' and they would probably have the best time, not talking to each other and just getting on with the task in hand.Fish and chips on the way home,
I wish he was here for us to ignore, or take for granted. I wish he was just here.
Bloody cancer.

Oh but look....


4lbs down this time, if I can do that every 2 weeks, well WHOOHOO!! It's coming off It's coming off!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Caryn said...

Big hugs, Helen. While I haven't lost my parents, I have the same sentiments about my recently deceased grandparents. Just the other night, in fact, I laid in bed crying & crying about losing them. It just seems so surreal. How can they be taken away from me when they were so precious and so loved and so great and so, so...wonderful? Little things they said or did...the memories fill my heart. And what saddens me the most is that is all I have left....memories. It sucks. I hate it. And no amount of "They are better now" or "They don't feel any more pain now" crap helps me. It doesn't make me feel better. I want them here with me. I want to see them one more time. Feel the warmth of their hugs, etc etc. I want them here! I know that's selfish, but I don't care!

Anyway sorry for the book. I know how you feel and I just want to offer you big cyber hugs!!

12:36 am  
Blogger Julie Q said...

I am sure Helen, that you will always feel your Dad's love. Even if you can't see his face, you will feel his love. Although, I am also willing to bet, you will remember his face.

(((Big Hugs Helen)))

2:44 am  
Blogger LosingSanity said...

~Hugs~ I still go through those emotions about losing my gparents and my aunt from time to time. And I totally agree that those little things that drove you nuts about them when they were here, are the very things you miss.

oh, and Im sending you some of our sunshine!!!! We definitely have had enough to spare the last few days!!!

6:16 am  
Blogger Julie Q said...

A big woo hoo Helen! 1/3 of the way there!

1:30 pm  
Blogger MamaTink said...

HUGS. I wish there was a way to ease the pain of loss. But I hear only time can do that.

Way to go on the weight loss!! WOOHOO!!

~Lisa~

7:52 pm  
Blogger JEFFY said...

Jesus, I swear to God I know how you feel. The picture on my blog in the right hand side has a pictureo fmy Johnny there. I cant look at no other pictues but that one. And I had to ease into that one. It makes me scream and run myself into walls that he is gone. I am like Caryn. So many days I just lay in bed and cry about him being gone! and I dont think he killed him self no moe. Even though it was ruled a suicide I dont think he would leave me! I think he was murdered. I just think that now. And it makes me a wild man, a madman. I sleep pnly like a few hours at a time, and when I wake up its the first thing that hits me. Its why I dont wanna be here sometimes. I have to fight everyday to make myself be here. I kiss you. King

2:03 pm  
Blogger Jenn said...

I'm sorry you miss you dad.
I wish it didn't have to hurt so bad to lose someone you love. It all rings so hollow when you just want them back, laughing and being alive. Bloody cancer indeed.
Good job on those lbs gone!

5:21 pm  
Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

The world is a sadder place without him. Bloody Cancer :(

Hugs

Julie

8:18 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home