Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

My Isaac, divine.

I know I must bore you with the kid tales all the time, but I have a lot of kids.....so, lots of tales.
Isaac is 5, you know that, he has a form of autism called Aspergers syndrome, you know that. What you may not know is I am a scardey cat about shots , particularly with my Isaac, he had the first lot of shots at some ridiculously young age, and was sick, very sick. His little leg ballooned and he was sick for a long time, I think his leg was swollen for 3 weeks. So...you can imagine I was hardly in a rush for the next batch.
On christmas eve ( so he was 4 months) I had to take him to the emergency room with an ear infection.
In the UK, we have the shots and the health visitor marks it down and no-one ever asks you again if they had them. It is not compulsory, hey can go to school without having a shot....anyhoo, we took Isaac to the hospital where I was treated like a criminal for not having had his shots, they told me I had one week to get them done before they reported me for child neglect. Lovely.
He should have had a pre-school booster, you know, before he started school. He had that today , 9 months after he started school. I hate it.
We had to pin him down at the dentist last month because , hell, she wanted to look at him, up close and even TOUCH him, he screamed blody murder, which was handy because then she could see his teeth beautifully, something she couldn't do when he was tight lipped and big eyed and staring at me with that heart rending plea in his eyes.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


We had warned him that it was shot day because kids with autism really like warnings on things, getting him out of the bath takes 4 countdowns. He didn't want shots ( yeay Isaac) but was persuaded ( nay, bribed) into it, I said we would go for ice cream afterwards, he said no, could he choose a treat from the halloween hoard.
In we went. Me and my Isaac, who is, though I say so myself so beyond beautiful it quite makes my heart stop to look at him sometimes.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We cheerfully told Karen, the nurse, that Isaac has trouble with people touching him and that he was very brave because he said she could touch him to give him shots.
Th bad thing for Isaac, is that because he looks the way he does and in dear old blighty, his colouring is a bit out of the norm, people want to look at him and when he walks into a place, people DO look and then almost always say
"*gasp* just how gorgeous are you?" I think he would love to enjoy that but.......yeesh, it just hurts him.
Sleeve up, right arm, snuggle mummy... JAB....the boy didn't even blink. Karen and I sort of stared at him and waited for a delayed reaction. None. Wow.
Oh...hang on, why is mummy turning me around..no I don't want that sticky tape on my arm, thankyou mummy for reading my mind, sleeve down, arm rubbed..better. But I don't like this turn around deal....darn it they are going for another one..pleading eyes and even a whispered, no, mouthed, but no sound " I don't.." lips tight look ahead JAB..not a blink, twitch or even a frown. No bandaid, no.......no sweets, pleading eyes....what Isaac, what do you need???

rub





my





sleeve.

This little boy is perfect.

8 Comments:

Blogger Julie Q said...

Oh Helen, maybe I'm tired, but how sweet! I have tears. Perhaps because my own 5 year old has such ways about him.

When had his shots last year, everybody heard him! Oh what fun that was.

Isaac earned whatever he wanted today. What a big boy!

2:57 am  
Blogger LosingSanity said...

What a brave Isaac! Shots are just so awful! But i guess the alternative is worse. NO win situation. Big hugs!

5:39 am  
Blogger dawn! said...

that must be so hard. i can not even imagine...if it helps my scotty is 6 and 52 pounds and we still have to hold him down while he screams bloody murder..

6:58 am  
Blogger -Lo said...

OMG that broke my heart. Dont shots just break your damn heart!!!

Hes such a big boy. When Emma had her kidergarden shots she screamed too , prolly like Dawns scotty. "Momma no no not in the leg" It broke my heart...

*sniffle*

7:25 am  
Blogger Jenn said...

I love that boy.
We've not gotten the shots yet either - and I'm halfway scared that they'll suspend Matthew from school for not having them. We have an appointment in October though.
WTG Isaac - you brave soul.

10:20 am  
Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Poor Isaac.. Poor Mommy too! Glad it's all done!

Hugs

Julie
--Gonna go get those cutters for you today :)

12:42 pm  
Blogger Lilsoutherngirl said...

Oh my, I am not a fan of shots myself. If I wasn't a "grownup" I would prob scream too....lol

1:38 pm  
Blogger mom of 2 said...

How brave he was!! Here is not optional to get shots! They get them every couple of months until they are 1, then only every year I think until they are 4. At one point they get 4 shots all at the same time...pure torture!!!

2:44 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home