Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Thursday, October 12, 2006

An occassion whereby the actress in me shone.






Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I had acupuncture today. Imagine. I didn't plan on actually having it, I just thought that rather than be endlessly gung ho about how marvellous something could be, I would walk around the corner and ask that nice chinese man just how effective acupuncture would be for a rotten case of restless leg syndrome.
I asked the nice chinese lady and she said that I should pay for consultation, a mere £8 and have a chat about it all. Ok, I said, let me pop home and put my shopping away and I'll be right back. I was prompted to change my underwear, not that it was dirty you understand but sometimes, you just feel it might be a good idea. I wasn't however, prompted..not even quietly, to shave my legs, dash it all.
So, I sat with the doctor and an interpreter and we went through just about every single thing to do with my health, he even looked at my tongue and my wrists. Consultation over, I was asked if perhaps I would like my first session then and there.
"Of course" I said, not really having ANY idea what that meant. I soon found out.
Into a little cubicle, devoid of any western frippery or embellishment, stark and very white.
Are the chinese less inhibited than us? I only ask because I couldn't see any gowns or anything and the lady told me quite clearly to strip to my bra and knickers......no modest sheet to cover my ample self..and she stood there. And waited.
The actress in me came to the fore, I swear I looked as though I was so used to stripping in front of teeny weeny little chinese ladies as if I hadn't a care in the world, I am, it would have appeared to all and sundry, at one with my body.

I lay on the trolley/ gurney like deal and noticed just how hairy my legs are, ye gads.....I am totally sure I shaved them just a day or two ago, not sure why the fact I have hairy legs was the most mortifying thing to me when I was lying in all my inconsiderable glory is beyond me, it just was.
In came the Dr, with his needles. Lots of them and surprisingly, I wasn't at all nervous, he began at my head, yes, my HEAD right at the top and he finished at my 2nd toe.
My head, forehead, elbows, in between my thumb and index finger, my thighs, knees, beside my knees, my ankles, calves and toes were stuck. The actual sticking wasn't at all painful, in fact not even a prick did I feel ( I so want to be flippant and tell you that actually that's not quite true because the Dr kept leaning against my elbow as he did the opposite side of me than he was standing by, and I defnately did feel something but I am trying to be like Jesus and I don't think He would tell you about that) What I did feel was a quite uncomfortable 'ow' kind of pain when he stabbed my thighs, that shot up through my bum cheek. The calf needles burned too, apparantly the places that are most in need of 'help' are the most uncomfortable. I was then left for 30 minutes and told to sleep, or ring if I needed anything.
A blogger, a true blogger would never be able to sleep in such a situation.
I was so mad that I didn't have my camera, I had my phone but I had turned it off and knew they would hear it say HELLO MOTO if I turned it on.
I so would have taken pictures of my so white body with furry legs for you, I would have, just so you could see those needles. Actually it did hurt when I tried to swivel enough to reach my phone...so I gave in and promised myself that on saturday when I go for session number 2, with shaved and maybe even fake tanned legs I will take pictures. I so will.
30 minutes later back came doctor with interpreter. Out came needles, it was noted that my skin had reacted to the needles and I had what looked like bee-sting swellings.....pretty.
Lovely gentle acupressure, soothing and pleasing to body and soul. Ahhhhhhh. Ooooooh. Happy. Happy me.
Ooooooh, oil, massage time. It was.
It wasn't, however, anything like the gentle adminitrations my mum gives with her glorious smelling oils, the smell of this oil told me that this was 'down to business' time. Indeed it was. I rather liked the whole weight leaning on my thighs part, could feel that was therapy indeed, I even almost enjoyed the punching of my thighs, when they hurt so badly at night I often punch them to get some relief, it was painful in a nice kind of way. The scraping down my shins, well I 'ooohed' a bit with that and having the handles of scissors screwed into the souls of my feet made me feel like a martyr for going to such lengths to help myself.
When I lay on my tummy and told myself to absolutely not try and imagine what that must look like to doctor leg torture, when all thoughts but the ones that screamed ' oh dear hell this has to work, it must be good for me because it really really hurts' had gone, I was happy that I had a pillow to bite.
Sweet heavens, he told me that it was evident that the muscles in my legs never relax, they are hard and taught and he pummeled them into softness and submission, oh yes he did.
I have to go 3 times a week for 2 weeks. Then, ready or not,I am going once a week because this isn't covered on the national health and I am going to wangle those next 5 sessions somehow in order to save my sanity and my soul. I paid for 4 sessions and my oil and got one session free....that will take me 2 weeks and then I should notice a marked difference.
What I was very happy with was the fact that when discussiong my symptoms he asked if I get hot and if I sweat a lot. When I almost kissed him and said yes...it all seemed to fit with him ,so imagine if somehow, in all this, that is helped too??
I am a happy and encouraged smelly person right now, I went to school to collect Seth and was a bit shy about whether people could smell my chinese oiled self.
I went up to my friends and asked outright " can you smell me? " Apparantly they could but it was a lovely smell that made them feel sort of good, so that's fine.I made H's eyes water when I first came home,

so hoorah that it had dulled somewhat by hometime.
I think I approve of chinese acupuncture and acupressure and even the massage. I hope it works, I really do. I might get addicted and go for weight loss and hormone balancing in the future. H and I looked at what he could go for ..but if he goes,he'll know how much it costs and he almost had a stroke at the mention of paying a window cleaner this morning, he'd never recover if he knew what Mr, beg pardon, Dr leg puncher charged me. I am having a hard time getting my head around it myself, I just think that if it means I can sleep and not have that pain and misery every night, that must mean I will be nicer to live with, I might even get to like living with myself....that'd make it all cheap at twice the price wouldn't it?

13 Comments:

Blogger JEFFY said...

MUM!!!! YOUR FEET ARE SO BEAUTIFUL!! THEY ARE! THEY ARE SO BEAUTIFUL!
HOPE THE TX WORKS! SOUNDS GOOD! HAPPY! COOL! KISS FROM YOUR BOY

6:45 pm  
Blogger The other me said...

Oh max..if only those WERE my feet! That's a snagged picture I'm afraid!

6:47 pm  
Blogger LosingSanity said...

You are brave. The thought of all those needles just makes me queasy, a touch. But, im sure that if i were suffering from the restless leg syndrome, i would welcome those needles, too. I hope this works for you and you can get some good sleep and start feeling great!

6:48 pm  
Blogger Lilsoutherngirl said...

I hope it works. I will pray that it does...

6:57 pm  
Blogger JEFFY said...

MUM I DIDNT READ FAR ENOUGH! HAHAH IM SORRY IEVEN POSTED THE PICTURE ON MY "PRINCE BLOOD BLOG" HAHAHA SORRY! WELL AT LEAST I WASNT DROOLING OVER MY MUM'S FEET! GAHHHHHHH! KISS YOUR BOY!

7:19 pm  
Blogger JEFFY said...

I WAS DROOLING OVER THEM FOR A MINUTE, VERY SENSUOUS WITH THE NEEDLES AND ALL....I EVEN WROTE AN APOLOGY FOR IT HAHAHAHA MAX

7:20 pm  
Blogger JEFFY said...

I LOVE NEEDLES, I DO I DO I DONT MIND EVEN HAVING SHOTS.
ALSO I GOT THE FORWARD ABOUT CHOSING BETWEEN POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE, AND JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I DIDNT RUN OUT AND FIRE MY THERAPISTS!

7:22 pm  
Blogger mom of 2 said...

Oh, that was such a great story...I can't wait to see some pictures to go along with it! Although, I must admit I did imagine what you must have looked like all needled and trying to get to your phone! Hope it works for you!!!

11:23 pm  
Blogger Julie Q said...

You are much braver than I Helen! I hope it works for you. :)

1:16 am  
Blogger Jenn said...

ok if this doesn't work than there is something wrong with the world. Needles here are usually accompanied by a lolly or a trip to the big McD's and to have multiple ones, well by golly it had better make you feel 21 and remove wrinkles and have dinner waiting for you on Wednesdays!
Seriously though, I hope it works. Truth be told my legs are looking a bit like a gorilla at the moment. I doubt my pride would have let me go for the session right away - I'd have made up some fancy excuse so I could shave and get a pedicure first - vanity strikes.

12:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally jealous! The question is, how are you doing today?

Rachel

6:46 pm  
Blogger Lilsoutherngirl said...

Go check out RLSoptions.com, I saw a commercial for this place on t.v. last night and thought of you, supposed to have lots of info on Restless Legs Syndrome..

6:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you trying something out of the normal medical options box.

LOVE reading your blog - thanks for commenting on mine and alerting me to your fabulous UK wit :)

I don't know what it is about you people across the pond, but I seriously think you're all smarter, funnier, and more interesting than us Americans.

I'm obsessed. Fellow American readers, don't hate me. I can't help it. I mean, haven't you listened to them speak? It's beauuutiful!

9:47 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home