Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Monday, November 20, 2006

I do so love it when it goes so well.

When I was a youngster, say 14, I pretty much knew that all I wanted was to be a mum, have a husband that thought I was a bit lovely and a home that people liked being in.
The last couple of days has been a time of smiling and inward nodding because right now, it's just as I knew it would be / hoped for/ dreamed of.
Dan called yesterday, he had just passed his driver's course for the police and was on his way to a shift where he would be the nee-naw driver, for real.
He also said that he and Shawn had had a row and did I want to go to Iceland with him for 2 weeks on wednesday. Hoorah, I have a son who calls me, even though he is a successful and trendy gorgeousness with loads to do and he really WOULD enjoy 2 weeks with his mum in a country that is...what IS Iceland? Cold I suspect, but anyhoo, mums always know that holidays are best with people your own age and anyway his row will be forgotten by today.
Then at 11.30pm, Jordan called me, he was at his friends' house and they have a 3 year old who was screaming inconsolably, advice given, medicine sent around and today I am a hero there too. The friend came round today with the 3 year old ( who rather sweetly followed me around saying " what a doin' now lady??") and her 5 month old baby who is deliciously fat and smiley and I had a splendid smooch with her and handed her back, oh what bliss.
I have a home that people like being in ( even though it has a grumpy old fart in it who could be perfectly happy without an endless stream of teenagers and teenagers friends but just sort of sucks his teeth and mumbles about how many dirty cups there are and then goes for a walk because really...must we have even MORE kids here?) My kids trust me, they even quite like me even though I say no sometimes and say stuff they hate. Very good.
Tonight while I was chatting with some lovely people and they both made me see that stuff I was fretting a bit about was all a load of guff and tsk, let it alone.
I had to leave our chat because Sophie called. She had missed her last train because the timetable has switched to the winter one and the last one is at 10pm..... I went to pick her up and the 3 kids with her , we got almost to our home and she said " can you drop Sam at her house please?"
It's great to be able to say "no." She couldn't quite believe I said no until I pointed out that had they got the train home, Sam would have had even further to walk from the station. I am soft but not completely stupid! I have kids that aren't afraid to call me, they have friends that feel safe in our house.
I am on top of the housework and have the kind of home back that feels right for me, everything where it should be and looking pretty much tidy. We have a load of people coming on thursday and there isn't too much that needs doing, just touch up stuff and the cooking, that's the way I like it!
I always used to say that I would have 5 children.....I did that and a even got a bonus baby, I pictured the house I wanted and here I am.....the details were never really important, the feelings were what counted, the feelings I imagined when I was 14 and dreaming are almost exactly how they are in real life, except the real thing is even better. Being able to look around me and see, to touch what I imagined for so long, is more precious that I can properly describe.
There is so much to be grateful for at the moment and how fortuitous that we can take a day this week to stop and think about all the things we have to give thanks for.

Count your blessings.

1. When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

[Chorus]
Count your blessings;Name them one by one.
Count your blessings;See what God hath done.
Count your blessings;Name them one by one.
Count your many blessings;See what God hath done.


2. Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?Count your many blessings; ev’ry doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.


3. When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you his wealth untold.
Count your many blessings; money cannot buy
Your reward in heaven nor your home on high.

4. So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged; God is over all.
Count your many blessings; angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.


Text: Johnson Oatman, Jr., 1856–1922p


3 Comments:

Blogger LosingSanity said...

Glad you are feeling so good. And this is a great time to sit back and think of all we have to be thankful for. IT seems that in the busy day to day life, we tend to get caught up in the small things and miss the big picture. There really are a lot of things to give thanks for!

3:39 am  
Blogger Lilsoutherngirl said...

As I have said before you are a great Mum.. and you seem to have everything you need.So great to see you happy.

2:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it. Sounds like those kids have a pretty great mom! :). Any mom that is asked by a son of that age to go and hang out with him must be a pretty cool lady!

9:31 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home