Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Smashing that was.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Jordan smacked his head on the sticking out turkey, this was the only Elijah proof place I could think of for Terry the Turkey and somehow he looks at home there, although the colossal lump of blue tac up his bottom probably didn't make him feel very thankful.

awww, look at H's face, can't you just see how clever he thinks I am to put leaves on a branch and pretend the whole idea was mine?
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The whole day was just about perfect. The boys went to school and playschool and took some mini chocolate cupcakes for their classes, they were so excited to share with their friends and the school has been great, they talked to the class about what thanksgiving means, the boys made some turkeys at home on monday and on the feathers wrote the things they are thankful for, they took them to school and showed them to the class. The came home at lunch time so that they could feel the day was special.
The food, though I say so myself, was delicious, Turkey, candied sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, roasted parsnips, sprouts, soft rolls, stuffing wrapped in bacon, carrots, gravy, cheery pie, ( that should say cherry of course, but I think I like cheery pie better) pumpkin pie and COOLWHIP!
Did I say that I invited a couple and their children that I knew online? They were posted to Cornwall from Italy, with the US navy in August, we met today and the children were divine, lovely to have a little girl around for a change, she played trains and rock stars and the boys were hardly seen as they entertained such a beauty.
They bought 2 pumpkin pies and real honest to goodness coolwhip, perfect.
We catered for 9 adults and 6 children, there is still a ton of food left, bubble and squeak tomorrow then, yum.
Everyone left at 5.30 and then I had a meeting to go to at church, the very last thing I felt like doing was go out but when I got there, it was great.
H is being a skinflinty old misery gob about the heating, not suprising as we are truly having the hardest time keeping up with the cost of the gas, £60 a week, the people in the flat pay the landlady £5 a week ,which she gives us every 3 months..... £55 every 3 months we pay £700!!! We are afraid to put our heating on they have theirs on 24 hours a day, 4 people, adults, living in that flat, taking hot showers....so he turns the gas off at the mains at 10pm and again throughout the day...it makes my skin crawl except today, we have used half the gas. If we can't have the heat on, why should they? We are the ones paying for it...until we hear from the landlady, who hasn't returned our calls, I guess old scroogey 'get a blanket' will keep turning it off!
We have a company that are coming to insulate the loft, draughtproof the doors and replace all out bulbs with nifty energy saving ones. Apparantly, we have no insulation and all the heat we are scrimping to pay for is whistling its merry way out of our roof, yeay. PPTTTTHHHHHH.

Life with our little cuckoo is proving interesting, I feel as though I have a permanant look of incredulity across my crumpled face, I see that she is one of the 'sweet and smiley' 'say the right thing but then do whatever the flipping heck you want' brigade, typical teen in that if she takes it off it stays where it falls because, surely someone will pick that up and wash it and put it where I need it next time?? Actually she is right , but it's not me...Sophie is her personal picker upper, incredible, she has taken it upon herself to do it.....and she is the one that grumbles at Danielle and has quiet words with her ( that are completely ignored!!) I am almost entertained by it all because it is just so totally unbelievable and unexpected! I heard her yelling at her mum on the phone today, had a blood run cold moment because , ack had all that with Sophie for too long, bloody teenagers and bloody mothers who just give up and let someone else deal with it.
Jordan is coming through his funk about the army, he is back in charge of the kitchen at the pub again and working long hours earning good money. Hooray, I hope he finds something that is more satisfying for him soon though.
Now Thanksgiving is over we can concentrate on going to the temple next week! NEXT WEEK!
This month has been non stop and horribly expensive, of course December isn't going to be much better but we'll do it, and enjoy it and before we know it it will be 2007, blimey.
I had a good day, I hope you all did too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie Q said...

Sounds like a very nice Thanksgiving Helen! I wish I had known how many people were coming, I would have sent more plates. :)

And oh yes, this year is closing in on us too! I still haven't made our reservation for our night out for our anniversary! I will try and remember to do that tomorrow!

4:20 am  
Blogger Susie said...

Oh, see, I didn't think of you celebrating Thanksgiving! Silly me. But I'm glad it was a happy one, even though chilly. Last year at this time, we still hadn't put our heat on, due to oil prices. This year, with WTF, I figured I had enough going on without being cold, too, so we've splurged in that area. Snuggle up and stay warm :)

12:44 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home