Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Saturday, December 23, 2006

And you never stop being the mummy.

Dan, who is 21, is coming home for 2 weeks in January.
He hates birthdays, he has always ( well since he was about 9,) hated his birthday, when he was about to be 10 I asked him what he wanted for his birthday he said " I want to be very bored please, I want to stay home and do nothing and I don't need anything so I don't want presents."
He meant it, he was very cross when I took him to a theme park for the day and sat in the car with a bobble hat ( in August) pulled right down over his head and face, until we got there where he had the best time of his life.
He stil hates any kind of fuss on his birthday.
He loves Christmas, he would be so excited about christmas growing up that he would almost puke just thinking about it. He would beg to santa and give him his pocket money so that santa could buy any extra present for someone who wouldn't have many presents, one year he asked for a packet of his favourite biscuits to take with him to see Santa, when he got there he asked Santa to give them to a boy his age who might never have had biscuits before ...... he loves Christmas.
I hate that he won't be having christmas until he gets here in January.....I really REALLY want to drive to his house and leave his presents on his doorstep on christmas eve, I can't do that as it takes 3 hours to get there and I am going to out and about until at least 9pm on sunday, then it'l take hours to set everything up here, but wouldn't that be great to actually make Christmas for my biggest boy? I love him to bits and back together again. He needs a break, he works so hard. He called the other day and was sobbing, snot crying, it is beyond heart wrenching to hear a man child cry and for them to be so far away that you can't just squeeze the bejeebers out of them.
He had been working with the police and had been to a call out where an elderly lady had just dropped dead, she has been running a bath and just died. He said that her tree was up, presents underneath, a list of to-do's on the table and she was dead. That made him think of papa and how much he misses him and he had been crying since the night before.
He works full time at the restaurant and then the evenings he has off from there and the full days off he has, he works or the police, he will work until 3-4am and then get up at 10 to go back to the restaurant. I think he might sleep the whole 2 weeks he is here. I love it that when he comes to visit, he walks in the door, hugs everyone and then he falls asleep.
I'm sure it's that when he gets here he gets to stop being a grown up with all those responsibilities and becomes just Dan again, someone else pays the bills, someone else worries about what is for dinner and how much the electricity costs and he only has to think about whether he wants to eat, or sleep.
Jordan is working from 6am until who knows when,on christmas day too...he is very grumpy and cross about that and it is making him think he doesn't want anything to do with any of it, bah humbugger it. I have made him a stocking and his own sweet table and will be santa in the very few hours he will be asleep, so he can see that even when he is a miserable git, santa still loves him and wants him to have a lovely time.
Sophie is always excited about Christmas too, this year is the first year she has had any money and she has been a divine delightfulness buying for everyone, her room is filled with presents for everyone and she is ready......she is still young enough that she wants things for herself too and has driven Jordan insane with lists of stuff to buy her, which means he hasn't bought her a thing yet.....I hope she cleans her room today because Santa is risking life and limb if she tries to get to Sophies bed in the dark with a stocking, Sophie is celebrating Danielle's departure by pretending she IS Danielle, her room is a terrifying stink pot of jumble and mess.
Lucky me, I get to be excited for all 6 of my children, even though 3 of them are all sort of grown up and cool sophisticated in front of their friends.
2 sleeps. Ooooooooooooh!

5 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

What fine humans you have raised, are raising. Even the grumpy, messy ones. Merry Christmas, Helen, to you and your dear family. So happy to have "met" you this year.

11:58 am  
Blogger LosingSanity said...

The bit you said about Dan coming home and sleeping...because when he is home he can just be Dan, really hit home! Ya know, I live about 10 mins from my mom and see her often. But, when i go to visit, when i am tired, stressed, etc...i always want to take a nap. Often times, I will lay down on the couch and sleep! And you are sooo right. I can be just Christina (aside from mommy..but gma takes care of the kids) when i am at mom's.

Geesh, what is wrong with me?! I am crying like a baby. The story about the lady passing away while drawing her bath, the fact that Dan doesn't get to come for Christmas til January, and you wishing you could go to him, Jordan having to work, etc...all so sad and then hearing how you handle it all with such love and devotion! Can I send my Mother in law to you for a Mom-training session? LOL.

2:34 pm  
Blogger mom of 2 said...

yeah for 2 sleeps!!!

12:57 am  
Blogger Julie Q said...

Just one more now! :) Very exciting time!

5:09 pm  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Just one more sleep now!! Merry Christmas and enjoy the time with your family!

8:09 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home