Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Thursday, December 21, 2006

I spoke too soon!

Because it is SOOOOOOOO cold. - 2 or something which is cold considering yesterday we scarcely needed a jacket. This old house needs some serious lagging because I saw today that we are a bit posh, all our neighbours had icy white roofs, not us, oh no sir, we heat our roof and melt that bad old white stuff. ARGH! The father's genes in me come out and wants to beat the ground at the badness of heating the sky.
I want that warm IN MY HOUSE.
We are as cosy as toast in our front room but walk out the door and you're on your own. Our bedroom is warm too and the boys room isn't uncomfortably cold, the hallways and landing are freezing, my feet want to fall off in the kitchen and going to the bathroom takes strength and fortitude. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
At least it feels like Christmas.
We had a crafty old time today, made toilet roll Joseph, Mary and some kings.....then we stopped because it's always best to end while it is still sort of fun and no-one has been banished from the family for crimes involving glue and scissors. I really take my hat off to mothers who do craft stuff on a regular basis because if I'm honest, it makes me want to sell them all to the gypsies ( the children, not the crafts) and beat some sense into myself.

Who said doing stuff like that is meant to be fun when you have small children? I can see that it should be fun and how it could be fun, but it isn't.
My children just can't seem to be happy doing the craft we set out to make, not enough to be allowed to cut shiny card, stick felt and draw on ping pong balls, it is apparant that in this family it can only be fun if we glue tables, draw on people and cut hair, or clothes, or important documents that were safely somewhere, who knows, it's not like I can ever find the darn things when I need them, maybe I should just announce we are going to make something and hand out scissors and the kids will find the very paper I've been searching for next time I need something.
As if that wasn't painful enough I then felt we needed to bake cookies, tree ones, which was fine because I didn't tell them, they were all glued to each other and the coffee table anyway, so I thought I was safe, almost got away with it but they smelled the goodies and came out to find me.
I did the baking- and they decorated 4 each, using enough colouring and goop to cover half of Devon, I did sort of enjoy that and managed to snuggle with the mumsie feeling I had afterwards, I think that I have exhausted my maternal responsibilities on the arty farty front for this season though, thank heavens for that.
I am a bit thumb twiddly now until sunday. We have a party and a carol service, bit more food shopping, no more wrapping and we're all set.
Very good.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

And to think that my hubby was very nearly stranded at Heathrow....He was supposed to be in London last week on business, and I am SO glad it got pushed off until later because he would have been stuck right about now!
We are having a green sunny Christmas it looks like. Unusual for us, but I'll take the mild weather thankyou very much. Winter is far too long a season, and has not enough holidays in it.
I'm ready for Christmas - I'm excited and looking forward to it. Not quite so excited that I do crafts and baking, but enough that I'm happy and jolly and not yelling at the kids so much for their usual mischief - Hey it's Christmas, of course you can each gingerbread men for breakfast.... :)

11:23 pm  
Blogger Julie Q said...

Ah, making sugar cookies alone. Dare to dream. ;) We have saved that for Sunday. Just something to fill the day up.

It is raining here. I would love some Christmas snow! I would hate the bitter cold though. I guess you can't have it both ways. Still leaning toward the cold and snow for now though. It will be a different story once Christmas is over.

I hope all your baking and crafting means you are feeling better Helen. :)

4:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are also making our sugar cookies this weekend. I am kinda dreading it too LOL!! I totally understand what you mean that it ends up being more of a chore than fun. Especially when you multiply the mess to 3+ kids.

For the past two days the kids have came home from school to help me make whatever we are baking. They enjoy it, but I have had to pick eggshells outta batter, wipe chocolate off the ground, and you don't wanna know how many dishes are in my sink right now LOL!! They are enjoying it though... and it will make for good memories.

Just think... in 10 years, your kids can laugh about when so and so glued so and so to the table and then chopped all of their hair off. It's not funny now... but I am sure you will be able to laugh about it later ;)

6:50 am  
Blogger Lilsoutherngirl said...

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!

2:46 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home