Photobucket
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Yes...this is ALL about me, and mine. Marvellously self indulgent, feel free to tell me how splendid I am, leave comments, nice ones please, I have little kids and teenagers who can do the rude stuff. I am a grandma, to the glorious Joshua, I'm allowed to look frazzled and weary, I earned it. The older I get, the more I see that hanging on and being patient is worth it! They ( whoever 'they' are) are so right when they say you never know what is around the corner, it isn't always an articulated truck! It is vital to make the time for making memories, friends are the greatest treasure, I love mine. I am rich!

Friday, December 22, 2006

Just 3 sleeps....

And 3 little boys here are as wound up and hyper as it is possible to be, Isaac is having a hard time with it all I think, Elijah is unsettled at night time, I hope he isn't getting poorly, Seth is just argumentative. Oh fun.
We woke up this morning with no electricity, 6 hours later it was fixed but that was a loooooong time to be cold, H took the 2 littler ones out which helped but it is REALLY cold now, thank goodness for the fire in the front room, we huddled and snuggled and somehow passed the time.
I spent a long time thinking about how different things are now from when I was on my own with Dan, Jordan and Sophie. I have always made Christmas a magical time, always gone overboard but when you are alone with children it is so lonely at this time of year, I cried every single christmas eve, just to see those little people so excited and then so thrilled every christmas morning and not have anyone to share that joy with was heart breaking for me. I think I almost took for granted that things are different, I never thought that would happen.
My old life seems like it happened to someone else. I'm so glad I'm not living that anymore.......funny how while I was living it, I didn't feel as sad about it as I do when I remember it. That was a good thing because it meant that I could function and give my children such happy times.
People say so often that children don't need fathers, I agree that it is possible to raise happy and stable children without one or the other parent but it is SO much better when there are 2 parents who not only love the children but each other.
Some of the best memories I have as a child are those that showed me how my dad loved my mum, he wrote on steamed up windows that he loved 'Peg', he would bring her fish and chips on friday evening, even when they had no money.
We sort of all thought mum was in charge while we grew up, she seemed to be the one that made the decisions about us, if we wanted to go somewhere or do something we asked mum, if we wanted a ride, we asked dad. We didn't think he was less important, not at all.
When the first one left, my saddest thought was that my children would never know what it was like to have been raised their whole lives by their mum and dad......that is such a great feeling, I love that, it was such a safe feeling to come from such a family. What I didn't think at the time was that the first one and I would never have been like my parents anyway, had we stayed together our children would have had an unhappier life than they had with just me raising them.
I'm waffling and not making a whole lot of sense, it's late and I should go to bed. I just wanted to write a bit about how different it is this time 'round with these children.
I am so excited about christmas, seeing the wonder on their faces and being able to look at H and share that. Marvellous.
3 more sleeps.

4 Comments:

Blogger Moobear said...

I am glad you have the three little ones with both a mom and dad around.Sorry about your heating problem. I look back and my life looks like it was in sections. I grew up without a dad as mama was pregnant with me when he was killed in an accident and I lost her to cancer when I was 14 so I thank the good Lord that my two sons still have both of their parents intact. I admire your sacrifices to raise your eldest children Helen. I will clue you in on a little secret. Christmas Eve, hubby and I will celebrate our 39th wedding anniversary. So all things work together for those that love the Lord and it is so true in our cases.
Bless you and your family this Christmas my friend. I am thankful to have met you.

12:49 am  
Blogger Julie Q said...

I can't imagine how hard it would have been to raise my older three on my own. You are a wonderful Mother Helen. Wonderful that you made Christmas magical for them, even when you yourself must have been down. Children do bring Christmas to life. Even my older three enjoy it more with Zachary here.

3 more sleeps! :) Looking forward to it. Not looking forward to trying to get Zachary to bed that night though! ;) Actually both nights, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!

1:33 am  
Blogger mom of 2 said...

Glad your heat wasn't off for too long!!

My kids are as hyper as can be, too! They can't wait to see what Santa has in store for them. I'm looking foward to it, too. I love seeing the excitement on their little faces!

I can't imagine what that must have been like to do Christmas alone with your children. Sounds like you made it great for them though! Glad you are happy now! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!

1:53 am  
Blogger LosingSanity said...

I'm glad that you are able to finally experience of the wonder of Christmas with someone special like H and the kids! And reading your post made me think about all of it. I guess, i always took it for granted in a sense. My parents being together and just assuming that was the way it was. But, you are right that had you stayed, the kids wouldn't have had the same fond memories you have of your childhood...bc things were different. I am sure you did a great job with them when you were on your own! Look at how wonderful they have turned out! That speaks volumes. The admiration they have for you shows. When I read about the things that especially Dan says and does to and for you, I can only hope that my Sebastian grows to be such an admirable young man!

Merry Christmas and enjoy every moment of family!!!!!

4:30 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home